CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Eric Abel

Profile:
I'm 38, 6' & 280lbs. on a medium sized frame. Probably close to 38% BF. I've been very athletic all my life until the last 6 years and have put most of the weight on in that time. I recently was put on BP medication. Normal for me is 110/65, my BP was up to 140/95. Cardiologist has cleared me for exercise and I have been doing scaled down WOD's (pull-ups are assisted)

I do have some confusion regarding what I should be doing on the Zone Diet, I read the book and the CF #21. My goal is to eventually get down to 12% BF. I realize this is a life time change, but at this point I want to be as strict as possible and be eating the most optimal way possible for sustained fat lose. I am not sure how many Blocks I need, and not sure what to stay away from (less fruit, no grains?) I read some conflicting info. It seems like many of the Crossfiters are not as overweight as me. I'd like to keep my food choices as simple as possible and I have no problem with most foods. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Here's a food list and shopping list for some suggestions.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/Food_List-25152.doc

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/Shopping_list-25153.doc

those lists are from this thread:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/25148.html

(Message edited by cjackson on June 05, 2006)
Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Eric Abel

Profile:
Thanks! I actually printed out that list, when it posted... it's very simple.

I guess I am confused on how many blocks I need and how much fuit is OK. I've read that too much fruit will hurt the weight loss. CF #21 talks about body type, should I be calculating for the body type I am or my ideal body type?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Guest2

Profile:

Eric - definitely drop grains and limit the fruit intake. If you eat fruit, stick to fruits with more glucose than fructose (e.g. grapes). if significant weight loss is the goal, i'd recommend much lower carb intake than the zone--more of a cyclic low-carb set-up. essentially carbs from vegetables only with a higher carb intake every fifth day or so--and that from non-fructose carbs like yams/sweet potatoes.

if you're doing the wod, modified or not, i'd suggest also throwing in afterward some low-intensity work like super light rowing, sled-pulling, etc. - you'll be hormonall "primed" to burn a little more fat, so it's the best time to squeeze in some more activity. also make sure you're training on an empty stomach, ideally in the morning after an all-night fast.

good luck
Old 06-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

How close are you to 38% bodyfat? If you are pretty close that places your lean body mass, LBM, at about 174lbs. 174/7, your LBM/# of grams of protein in one block, = 25. Now you need to consider your activity level. I am going to assume you do something like the WOD since you are on this site. Most recommend .8 multiplier for this activity level. That would put you at .8 * 25 = 20 blocks.

My advice to you would be as follows. Consume 20 blocks daily adhereing strictly to what is a block. Exercise according to your abilities, the WOD or a modified for ability WOD is a great place to start. Drink lots of water, if you think you are drinking enough, drink more. As to food selection, 99.9% of your carbohydrate blocks should come from two things: vegetables and fruits. I personnally aim to eat as many carb blocks as vegs as I do fruits in a day, I like fruit. Fruit is very portable and easy to eat. It really is not going to make THAT much of a diffrence for your first ?six? months or so if you eat most of your carb blocks as fruit. One big advantage to eating vegetables is that they tend to be more satisfying with regards to appetite suppression.

One more thing, if you get really hungry, cut yourself a little slack. Give yourself a single 2 block snack on the days it is unbearable. This is a lifelong journey not a weekend trip. If you are heading in the right direction you can always modify your plan to get there faster.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #6
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Well said Nick
Old 06-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Eric Abel

Profile:
Excellent guys. Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Nick, my body fat is just under 38% so your numbers would be correct for me. Greg, would the "low-intensity work", be right after the WOD and what kind of duration would be optimal? Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
I'm guessing Eric would likely do better on fewer than 20 blocks per day. Try starting at more like 18 (or even 17) and adjust from there as needed if you're still totally bonking after the first 2.5 weeks. (I suspect Nick's activity multiplier might be a little high.)

Twenty-blockers, in my experience, are usually very big (not fat) guys who also do some pretty serious activity and are in a maintenance, not loss, phase. For the kind of fat loss (and rate) that Eric's talking about, he might do better starting lower.

And, yeah, what everyone else said about getting most carbs from veggies. It's also the most food per block so it helps keep you from getting sidetracked by less volume of food per day/meal. (Meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar... Sound familiar?)

Good luck Eric. And welcome.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Guest2

Profile:

Eric -

10-20 min or so. it's heresy to say around here, but CF will lean you out pretty well if you're not too far off the mark currently. most of the time, though, it's not enough total activity. drop that extra little work in there and i assure you you'll drop more fat much faster.

but the nutrition is super key. i know the zone is divine around here, but i'll say it again and again--the carb RX is likely too high for you. once you're doing the 3-on, 1-off, full-meal-deal WOD, you'll probably need that much carbohydrate to perform. but until then, cut it way back--basically, eat as much vegetable matter as you want, no limit. limit fruit intake somewhat (frutose does not bode well for fat loss).

i think it's a matter of prioritizing--you can eat higher carb (zone) and perform better on the WOD, or you can take some time to first drop the extra weight, which will increase your WOD performance far more than any diet prescription at your current body status, and then worry about bring the performance up to super high levels.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Greg-

Thanks for the nugget of info about high glucose:fructose ratio fruits being better...

Now I've got some data researching to do!

You have any articles expounding on glucose in fruits being "better" than fructose?