CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
i ran a blood test a few days ago and the results are pretty much in line besides the CPK(Cpk, creatine phosphokinase, is an enzyme released in injured muscle)

which is correlated with msucle breakdown , over training and even good ol' rambo..

normal levels are btween 0-220. i have 364.
1.5 more than normal. i assume anyone who trains hard has higher levels of CPK the question is how high is too high? does anyone have experince with high CPK as well ?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
From my experience:
It is relatively easy to PT yourself to a CK level of 500 without really feeling any effects. The point where we usually get concerned is above 1000...I have seen patients with CK as high as 3000-5000, but these guys are usually the victims of a heat injury or rhabdo. Basically, my opinion (I repeat, MY opinion) is 500 or under you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
George Brothers

Profile:
israel
in the world of cpk or ck as some call it, 364 is not a big deal in the young healthy set. normal is a misnomer. labs operate using ranges that the general population will fall into. there are always some outliers. extreme outliers may indicate disease state. my experience in the emergency room has been seeing cpk or ck in the tens of thousands, usually in the context of myocardial infarction, rhabdomyolysis or heat illness. since you have managed to make it to your computer to report your numbers i am assuming you are not feeling ill. it may be worthwhile to recheck this in several weeks especially after a few days of rest and good hydration. i would bet it will fall into the normal range.