CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Matt Meeuwsen

Profile:
Allow me to introduce myself:

I am an almost 30 something LEO who has fallen off the workout wagon since the birth of my daughter. I am an instructor in the areas of combat for law enforcement; including firearms and defensive tactics. After much reading and training other LEO's, I believe I have developed a warrior's mindset. However, I lack the physical attributes needed to survive the most dangerous of encounters. This quest has brought me here.

I had good success with Body For Life, but want more. I have read many threads/posts, the intro guides and the beginners workout, but still seek guidance. Here are my questions:

1. What do you use as a daily pre-workout warm-up? (I saw what is listed in the FAQ's)

2. What is the proper way to "scale down" the WOD? Or, what rotating workout might you use, understanding that a "routine" can be restrictive?

3. Is there a specific cool-down routine you use?

4. Any tips from those using the Zone dietary plan? I am just starting it.

I am highly motivated now with the addition of my daughter and wanting to make certain I return home at the end of my shift. I have limited space in my house and am planning and purchasing equipment to create a gym in my garage. Any and all feedback will be read and greatly appreciated. I will post ASAP if you have any specific questions for me. I look forward to reading your advice. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Matt,
1. Start slowly.
2. Learn the movements

We post scaled WOD's from the mainpage here and answer questions for new people:
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

Another great site for new people is:
www.crossfitfoundations.typepad.com
Good explanations of some of the basic movements.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Matt Meeuwsen

Profile:
So the WOD gets posted at CF and then a modified version makes it to BrandX sorted by skill level (i.e. Big Dogs, Pack, Pups)? Why do the subsequent posts for a given WOD and date seem to vary or am I reading it improperly? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Matt, I'm a Brand X'er - going on 3 years using Jeff's scaled workouts. As for the postings on comments, not everyone uses the Brand X scalings, so you'll see unlimited variations of the WOD.

More and more people are using them, though so I think you'll see more references to them on the Main Page as time goes by. I'm a believer.

(Message edited by laurar on March 06, 2007)
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
Matt Meeuwsen

Profile:
Laura,
Would my best bet be to start with Jeff's scaled WOD based on my level of fitness (i.e. Pack)? Thanks for the post.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:39 AM   #6
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Matt,
Do the Crossfit Warmup before every workout. When I started I was never a big warmup guy so I skipped it. In the last 4 months I have done it before every workout and it's made a huge difference. At first it will be a WOD by itself, keep at it, before you know it will be easy.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I really like the Brand X workouts, kind of takes the guessing out of scaling. You could also cut the volume of the posted WOD by 50% or 75%. So, you could cut weight, distance, time, or a combination of all. You could also substitute exercises you do not have the equipment for or cannot do yet (handstand push-ups come to mind). Lynne's FAQs are very important to read. The search function will show you everything about nutrition and exercise you are going to need. I'm an LEO and have been doing this for three years. Oh, get the CF journal.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Matt Meeuwsen

Profile:
Thanks for all the posts. I'm working slowly on the techiniques and waiting for winter to break up here in the north country so I can get outside. I think I've figured out how the BrandX WOD's are listed after reading many posts. Keep the info coming; I'm open to all advice.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Larry is right on. Listen to that guy. ;)

You have your choice. Brand X is a great bet. Try them out or try the Cutting by 50 or 75%. Start very conservatively. Puppy is where most people start. If it's too easy go up the next time. Some workouts you will find the Puppy workout difficult and some days the Pack workout has stuff you can do.

Jump in and try not to think about it too much before you start. There's always tomorrow to adjust if you find you started in the wrong place today.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Matt,
Generally the first two posts on a specific day will be the CrossFit mainpage WOD, and then our scaled version of the WOD. We have 2-3 Crossfit classes everyday at Brand X, and our trainers will generally post those WODs as well. Some of our clients will post their results from the classes, as well as clients taking privates. Generally a lot of info and workouts posted each day, but the mainpage WOD and scaling is usually right up front.