CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Steve Gallo

Profile:
I've always had a bad left shoulder, but this just started happening. Every time I do a pullup, my shoulder pops loudly on the way up and coming back down. This started after I took a two week vacation and did no xfit, and then after that I got some rings and incorporated ring dips and muscle up training. Somewhere in there, my shoulder developed the popping. It's also worth mentioning that if I bring my elbows down and in towards my body, so that my forearms are almost in front of my face, it pops less often/not as loud. The further I move my arms out (widen my grip), the louder the popping gets. It doesn't seem to be all that painful, but I haven't done more than 5 pullups at a time since I developed this problem, for fear of really damaging it.

I don't know what is causing this, but let me tell you, sometimes it is LOUD. I can't afford to see an orthopedic surgeon right now. Anyone have any advice/input? Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
Brad Davis

Profile:
I'm no physiology expert, but just lost 5 months of upper body work due to a "minor" shoulder injury. I'd say your fear is justified.

Be very careful and conservative. Maybe some time off upper body work? Like maybe a month.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
Robert Olajos

Profile:
I'm no expert, but I have had shoulder popping and dealt with it through rest, shoulder stretching, rotator cuff strengthening exercises, and postural reeducation.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Armchair quarterbacking from a non-physician.

It sounds like you are not keeping an "active shoulder" Do a search
Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Yes, Craig is correct! learn how to keep an active shoulder. I've been dealing with a rotator cuff injury since Feb. I'm now doing everything in my power not to go under the knife. Which means that I'm doing a lot more coaching and a lot less all out workouts.
Also, on my pull-ups I have days where I just can't go to the bottom. I know it's not the best form but it keeps me from losing them altogether. Also, things like knees to elbow I have to keep my arms bent. Thrusters I have to keep soft at the top so as to not kill my left shoulder. I do still have popping when i put on a shirt and sometimes during pull-ups. That lets me know I'm not keeping an active shoulder.
I've been going at about 65% for months. Now I get to go up to 75% only on select days. Then I have to recover for days after. It's a game I play! So learn the active shoulder I've seen a difference since I've come to understand it.
Also, Arm bars and TGU's are great for stabilizing work. Or lunges with a DB in lock out over head.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Cal Jones

Profile:
I have a chronic rotator cuff problem with my right shoulder. Basically, if I want to train pull-ups, I keep a fairly narrow grip and that seems to cause the least amount of problems.
I'm also doing dislocatese with a 5kg body bar (a broom would work just as well, but bars is all my gym has!) every time I warm up.
I've just this last month been able to bench press for the first time in 10 years without significant RC pain. (I'm careful not to go too heavy though...)
Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
Steve,

My advice to you is to see a doctor and then perhaps a second one. You can't be too cautious with your shoulder! I have had 9 dislocations and 2 surgeries on my right shoulder (hockey/rugby injury). I used to disregard what my body was telling me and I would push myself more than I should have. I had my last operation in October of 2006 and since then it has been a slow, steady progression back to working out. Now, I am finally at a good point where I don't suffer from too much pain or restriction. The point is, don't over do it. And talk to a doctor/orthopedic surgeon. Good luck.