CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
John A. Martinez

Profile:
dips, pullups, pushups

I have been working the program for a month. I am 278 lbs. I have a hard time with the dips, pullups and pushups. I do jumping pull ups and when i do dips I can not go all the way down. I did do good push ups the last time push ups was put on the WOD ( did all 50, but did not make the 50 handstand, did 43)

Can some one please give me some advice on what I can do, to help increase my pullups and my dips and push ups.

Thanks

John
Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: dips, pullups, pushups

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Martinez View Post
I have been working the program for a month. I am 278 lbs. I have a hard time with the dips, pullups and pushups. I do jumping pull ups and when i do dips I can not go all the way down. I did do good push ups the last time push ups was put on the WOD ( did all 50, but did not make the 50 handstand, did 43)

Can some one please give me some advice on what I can do, to help increase my pullups and my dips and push ups.

Thanks

John
keep doing them! obviously bodyweight exercises are going to be much harder for you at 278lbs. just keep it up and try not to get discouraged. im sure you will see rapid improvement from wod's as you will definitely shed some pounds.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
Justin Herring

Profile:

Yup, the best way to get better is keep working out, build your strength and lose weight. No magic formulas--I've been steadily increasing my ability at these exercises over the past 6 months and sometimes it just takes time.

In the meantime, you could use an assist machine (they have them in most gyms for pullups and dips). Gradually decrease the assist over time until you don't need it anymore--that worked for me. Failing that, jumping pullups and dips are a good place to start. For HSPUs I started by hooking my feet over a bar to help support my weight.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #4
Martin Pannabecker

Profile:

You might want to try using 2 metal chairs for the dips to get the feel of going down far enough. This way you can break the horizontal plane of your shoulders and arms. Now the dips on the chairs will not work you as hard because you are supporting a lot of your weight with your feet out in front of you. This being said I will help with the proper technique. Also as stated above use a assisted dip machine and gradually move the weight down until you no longer need assistance.

One thing I learned in the Army. Doing dips helps dips, doing push ups helps push ups ect ect. It takes time especially for you muscles to get muscle memory. Keep at it!