CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Smile 13.2 AMRAP tips and strategy.

Can't wait to hear everyone's tips and strategy.

Here is our first impressions from ACF.

http://youtu.be/-qSRNxZqUys
[Safe for Work]

I can't wait for this workout!!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Beau Davis

Profile:
Re: 13.2 AMRAP tips and strategy.

Immediately pick the bar up after box jumps and don't drop the bar when transitioning from shoulder-to-overhead to deadlifts, just go straight into them.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I would go against that and say drop the bar between StO and DL. There's really not anywhere else to get a real breath in and reset yourself otherwise. Those extra couple seconds might be the difference in going out too fast and running out of gas 7 minutes through.

Of course, I say that with 24" box jumps being not much more than a hop for me. Tons easier than 135# snatches at least
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Even if the weight is light for you, don't strict press it right from the outset. At least push press, if not push jerk. If you're still strong enough for it at the end, *that's* when to get a few quick strict press in.

In this relatively short domain, no-reps are going to be a time killer. Know and hit the standards.

Notice how Annie, after her last round of jumps, came back to her bar facing the other direction, as if she felt that was the fastest way to it so that she could get a few last-second S2OH in. It made me wonder if she should have been doing that all along. Consider your path to and from the box and bar.

Have a plan and follow it. Don't get caught up in the pace that others around you are setting if you aren't capable of sustaining it. The reverse is true as well; don't get bogged down by someone nearby in the belief that maybe their slower pace is smarter than whatever you had in mind. Know your strengths and play to them.

If you have top-to-top jumps, do `em. But, of all no-reps to get, don't have it be on the jumps. A no-rep on the box usually costs more time than at the bar.

The DL weight is light enough that you may be able to do more of a hinge-at-the-hips form of deadlift rather than a bend of the knees. This is quicker but harder on the back. Since you're about to have to do box jumps after the deadlift, your quads may appreciate any break that you can give them in deadlift.

- Mark
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I would go against that and say drop the bar between StO and DL. There's really not anywhere else to get a real breath in and reset yourself otherwise. Those extra couple seconds might be the difference in going out too fast and running out of gas 7 minutes through.

Of course, I say that with 24" box jumps being not much more than a hop for me. Tons easier than 135# snatches at least
I dropped the bar after every five shoulder-to-overhead and afterward, as hard as the WoD was, thought that transitioning between the two movements should've been smoother and probably would've helped me maybe get to 200.

I really wasn't too winded after the bar movements. The kicker for me was box jumps. After a few reps I would just want to stand there on top of the box. And then after the box jumps I knew I could fly through the bar movements, so I was really hesitant to pick the bar up right away because I knew with every rep I was that much closer to more box jumps.

Thankfully everyone was screaming at me and that kept me moving (for the most part).

@Mark: That's a fantastic point about hinging at the hips for the DL. I did a couple of rounds doing regular DLs and my quads were on fire during the box jumps. It probably slowed me down too.

Last edited by Beau Davis; 03-13-2013 at 10:17 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Andy Luten

Profile:

Step-ups are allowed. A friend of mine and I went at the same time, he did step-ups and I did box jumps and stepped down. He beat me by 60 reps, wasn't a contest.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Andy Sweetland

Profile:

I agree that holding the bar during the transition seemed smoother and faster. That's how I started and finished, dropped it for a few rounds in the middle but it felt better and faster to just keep it in hand. As long as the bar is in your hands there's no opportunity to put them on your waist for a few breaths : )
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Aaron Lengel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
Step-ups are allowed. A friend of mine and I went at the same time, he did step-ups and I did box jumps and stepped down. He beat me by 60 reps, wasn't a contest.
Andy, what was your score?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
This was a great piece of info. I'd rather step up than rest if possible. I feel like it's a real lung burner.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

Notice how Annie, after her last round of jumps, came back to her bar facing the other direction, as if she felt that was the fastest way to it so that she could get a few last-second S2OH in. It made me wonder if she should have been doing that all along. Consider your path to and from the box and bar.

A no-rep on the box usually costs more time than at the bar.

- Mark
Damn good stuff too.

Yeah Mark.. I didn't notice Annie switching on the last rep, nice catch. I would say most efficient but possibly risky would be to put the bar behind you as you do box jumps so you can turn and lift on the land. That will work great as long as the bar does not roll under you while jumping hah.

Last edited by Rob Brown; 03-14-2013 at 10:34 AM..