CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
What hand spacing do folks use? Could you tell me the advantages for the one you utilize?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Tom,

The closer the grip, the more the triceps are targeted, while the wider the grip, the more the chest and anterior deltoid are targeted.

Shoulder width would be the happy medium. I think one can lift more this way because you sorta "brace" against your lats. I can lift more this way, I think. Hope this shed some light.

Cheers

Roy
Old 08-22-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I bench powerlifting style, hands inside the rings, pinkies touching the rings or closer. scapula pulled in, head jammed into bench, try to pull the bar apart with your hands. Wrists should be neutral, no false grip. Bar to lower chest, push straight up (no J curve). Grind feet into floor. Butt stays on bench, no flopping around!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
I try to meticulously follow the prescription of Stuart McRobert in his Tell-All Handbook: The width is set at the point where the forearms remain perpindicular to the floor through the whole movement, the bar moves from directly above the face at top & down to the solar plexus top/sternum bottom notch at the bottom, aka J-curve(not too low on sternum though, hurts my right A-C joint, too high hurts my rotator cuffs, & close grips ALWAYS hurt my A-C joint).

I also find the pullups drain power from my lats, which I brace, and I definitely use them in the bench. High-rep @ body weight is a fairly high weight for me: Body weight = 215 lbs, can only rep out 8 reps @ 225 lbs. & 1RM is 265.