CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
...at least here in santa cruz :-)

In the past few weeks I've had several gym owners/workers ask me if the workout routine I was doing was crossfit!

Both of the instructors at the ClubOne (in the old borland building) in Scotts Valley asked if I was doing crossfit. It looks like they are starting to have their clients do crossfit like stuff. I saw one of the trainers have a client of hers do several rounds squats on a machine and then move to a bike with no rest. They also advertise "high intensity circuit workouts" or something like that.

The other trainer there met a few crossfit folks at an o-lifting seminar in the area. Turns out he was really into the o-lifts in his college days and cleaned 365! He's been trying to get bumber plates at the gym for years but the owners don't want it :-(

I was doing yesterdays workout at pacific edge, a local climbing gym close to home that also has a small workout area. It was nice outside so I figured I'd do the runs outside. I asked the owner if he minded me coming and going a lot as I moved from the weight room to outside for the runs. He didn't mind and asked me if I was doing crossfit! I told him I was and that he should go out to headquarters and do a workout and talk with the people there.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
Barry Cooper

Profile:
For some random reason, I picked up this months issue of Men's Fitness (I think that's it), and they had "adrenaline" workouts that Matthew McConahey (?) did to get in shape for one of his movies, and the routines looked a LOT like CrossFit, with maybe just a hint of a bodybuilding bias.

It'll hit in 2-3 years. Same with the Zone. He's sold a lot of books, but can't seem to break away from getting lumped with Atkins.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Richard Belloff

Profile:

I don't know popular CF will become. Lets face it, this is hard hard work when done correctly. And sometimes you don't look so slick when learning a new move.

I don't see many BBs moving to CF nor the spandex crowd. Am I off base here or is CF much more an athlete and fighter's discipline?

Old 03-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Personally, I don't think CrossFit will ever have mass appeal . . . too hard.

I do expect to eventually see many bastardized versions of it, however, as people will want the benefits without the effort, and trainers will try to give it to them . . .
Old 03-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
We can call it . . .SuperFast.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
If we do, are we a "cult" too???
Looks like the guys at T-nation are starting to hint at a CF style warm up!!
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=6CA12E27553F0FE88C5A233041 4C8B9B .titan?id=585287
Old 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Mike Burgener

Profile:
crossfit, in my opinion, is more about being part of a supporting team!!! go to today's video...look at josh everett's demo on the 155 cln and jerk.....josh will tell you that he made that lift because of the support of the people at the clinic...crossfit people!!!! why is grady mac involved....coming together in a fashion that breeds success and togetherness while in a situation that is tough, tough, tough.....makes one stronger, fitter and part of the team......that is what one has to sell....and the crossfit professional can do just that....look at mike rutherford...bootcamp fitness......i am finding that my pe kids and their parents want hard core....no more unfit population problems. today i had a jr in h.s. do fight gone bad....a football kid....did 277...he was totally gassed!!! afterwards...in fact WAY AFTERWARDS......"i love this stuff!!!" that was this 16 yr olds comment!!!!! ARRRRUGGGHAAAAA!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Get 'em Coach!!
We're sowing the seeds of love and Crossfit!!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I think it will spawn a bunch of immitations, causing most people to call it a 'fad'. Once every other fitness guru has jumped on the band wagon and everyone attempting the workouts realize "this is HARD" - it will probably establish itself as the main staple for those wanting/needing superior athletisism and fitness.

The only sad part about all the immitations is that they don't know what is going on or why/what works. Most of them have their clients doing movements with poor form or using all the machines in the gym.

I liken these 'interlopers' to those individuals whom, after taking a year or two of Martial Arts training and reading a library of books on the subject, starts his 'Own' martial art.

They may be talented, they may have a ton of 'knowlege,' but without the trial and error, without the experience, without TIME - he is just reinventing the wheel. Retracing the steps worn by pioneers years (sometimes decades) before.

On the upside, all the 'growing publicity' will show many more people the way to greater fitness (not to mention understanding from everyone watching us workout).
Old 03-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Imitation is Limitation. Those who copy without underestanding will modify and adjust without an eye toward the larger picture. The CF pretenders will be much like that group of blind guys grabbing different parts of the elephant all of them certain that their perspective is the correct one. They will have no cohesive organization and that will be their downfall. CF has its most powerful and valuable offering this community of like-minded, caring, sharing and talented believers who bring things to the fold and add to the collective. We are the Borg of training and fitness. Resistance is futile. Convert or miss the revolution and flounder with the non-believers.