CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Josh Briggs

Profile:
I just got myself a non-funtional knee while skiing a steep line in BC.

Like you, I had a number of similar incidences leading up to this one, which I generally ignored (ie. slight rehab, and laying off it for a few weeks) due to the fact that I didn't lose any mobility from them and could still be active.

This time... couldn't ski in one direction, definately couldn't turn in either direction, trouble walking on unstable terrain, trouble with weight bearing on a knee bend greater than 30*.

Diagnosis: Torn meniscus. Referal to Ortho. Going to see an athletic therapist specializing in knees tomorrow.

Seeing as we are both the same age (29) and seem to engage in similar activity stresses (call it wide- ranging demands from immediate power to long term endurance over variable terrain and differening time periods where physical failure could kill you... with the exception that, I think you get shot at...), I'm interested in how your recovery went.

Any suggestions? How long back to "full power"? Did you ever get there? Helpful exercises?

Any suggestions from from skiers? Eva?

The mechanism of injury was a turn from a very bent uphill (right) leg on flutes in steep terrain, in dense (sluff compacted) powder, where I put excessive twist on the uphill (bent, right) knee by forcing the turn before fully extending both legs (Hey, I was nervous...).