CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Pre Workout

Hi

Does anyone take a pre-workout supplement / drink? If so, any recommendations? If not, why not?

As far as supplementation goes, I take fish oil, Vitamin D and a whey isolate shake post workout.

Thx
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Pre Workout

Caffeine pills are your absolute best preworkout supplement for your money. That is what is so effective in preworkout supplements on the market and the rest of the ingredients are pretty worthless, underdosed, and/or overpriced.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Caffeine pills ftw. They are quick and cheap. I get the generic kind since they are 100mg instead of 200 like vivrin, it's easier to dose that way. I think it was like $2 at family dollar for 15 or 30. A bottle of vivrin is like 8 bucks.

I'm pretty sure the pills are even cheaper than coffee/tea. That being said, I enjoy coffee in the morning and sipping on tea during workouts.

I actually like RedBull zero cal but for $2.50/can I'd rather not. It's generally something I will get if I forget caffeine or run out.

I always had a problem with a lot of preworkouts always ending me getting near pukey during WOD's. I think it allowed me to push harder so generally stopped taking them.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Just make sure its not affecting your sleep if you take caffeine.

In most people it takes 8 hours to dissolve, so if you wanna sleep at 10PM, the last time would be 1-2pm to take it.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, easy enough to just pop the caffeine pills when you wake up or before workout. It depends on how used to caffeine you are.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #6
Alex Burden

Profile:

BSN NO-Explode, I drink half (375ml) about 30min pre work out and then dilute the remaining 375ml back to 750ml to drink during the work out.

I can't drink just plain water during any work out as I will throw up... I need something with taste.

This is for a about 4 weeks and then I break from that and then only drink flavoured water for 2 weeks but take a ripped fuel 30 min pre work out - then back to BSN. I only take 1 ripped fuel tablet per day (33% of recommended daily dose for that maker)
Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah I liked the BSN stuff when Mark Bell gave me a few samples and we had the powdered version at our gym. It's powerful stuff and I had good sessions on it.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Dan Silva

Profile:

I use Altius pre-workout and highly recommend it.

pre-workout is the only supplement I don't mind spending some extra money on because I can feel the difference when I find a product I like.

If caffeine pills do the trick for you than that's awesome. I'm at the gym at 5 am and caffeine pills did not work for me. Jack3d was my pre-workout of choice until they changed the product a few years ago. I kept trying different kinds until I stumbled upon Altius early this year.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Dan Silva

Profile:

I use Altius pre-workout and highly recommend it.

pre-workout is the only supplement I don't mind spending some extra money on because I can feel the difference when I find a product I like.

If caffeine pills do the trick for you than that's awesome. I'm at the gym at 5 am and caffeine pills did not work for me. Jack3d was my pre-workout of choice until they changed the product a few years ago. I kept trying different kinds until I stumbled upon Altius early this year.