CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #61
Chuck Golden

Profile:
Re: Any guesses on 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Ozias View Post
I feel like there is a lot of negativity around these workouts this year. As CrossFit grows so do the competitors and the community. Their fitness gets better. The average CrossFitter is more fit now than the average CrossFitter from 2009. I think its awesome that they are putting these "challenging" wods first because it makes everyone either step up to the plate or back down. Remember this is the process to find the fittest on earth. So the workouts have to be a little challenging or the elite shouldn't even do it. 12AMRAP of air squats and sit ups is something everyone and their grandma can do but its not a good test. If you can't do double unders 14.1 was awful but I am sure that those people who want to be good will be working on their double unders so that next year when they come up they will do much better. Castro raised the level this year at the games with 405lb deadlifts for reps. Now he is raising the game for the open. It is still inclusive. "inclusive" meaning all you need is a bar, plates, rope, pull up bar, etc... to do the workout. NO fancy equipment. This is classic CrossFit workouts. Double unders snatch, OHS and C2B. You knew they were gonna come up in my opinion if you didn't practice them then you can only blame yourself. Enough with the negativity about the workouts. They are programmed well, if you have a weakness work on it so next year it becomes a strength. Rant over.
Then they need to stop marketing the Open to any and all Crossfitters, they need to establish RX standards like every other competition and stop trying to pressure every single member of a box to sign up. They made a point of mentioning how many "first time" people signed up for the Open, how do you think that group of people are fairing in these WODs and do you think they'll sign up next year?

My stance is if they want a competition for the elite that's totally fine, but don't run PSAs with Glassman leading up to it talking about how inclusive it is.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #62
Michael Cook

Profile:

Agreed - these first 2 wods are fine for intermediate level crosfitters, but not good at all for beginner level crossfitters. 12.1, the 7min of burpees was accessable to the beginner crossfitter, and so was 12.2 and 13.1 with the snatch ladder, and burpee/snatch ladder. Beginner crossfitters could do those workouts in a meaningful way and be challenged. With 14.1 and 14.2 the beginner crossfitter is stopped dead in their tracks with the DU and C2B.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #63
Michael Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Here are my guesses:
1. AMRAP 15: 40-30-20-10
Thrusters at 50lbs, 100lbs, 140lbs, 160lbs
T2B

2. AMRAP 7: 3-6-9-12-15,etc
Clean and Jerk 135lbs
C2B

3. AMRAP 12
50 burpee box jumps
30 muscle ups

I would not mind 13.1 with OHS instead of snatches.
Once again, I was not even close to guessing this one right.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #64
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
Agreed - these first 2 wods are fine for intermediate level crosfitters, but not good at all for beginner level crossfitters. 12.1, the 7min of burpees was accessable to the beginner crossfitter, and so was 12.2 and 13.1 with the snatch ladder, and burpee/snatch ladder. Beginner crossfitters could do those workouts in a meaningful way and be challenged. With 14.1 and 14.2 the beginner crossfitter is stopped dead in their tracks with the DU and C2B.
Many beginner Crossfitters will also have a difficult time with multiple reps of 95# OHS.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #65
Ryan Gonzalez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Ozias View Post
I feel like there is a lot of negativity around these workouts this year. As CrossFit grows so do the competitors and the community. Their fitness gets better. The average CrossFitter is more fit now than the average CrossFitter from 2009. I think its awesome that they are putting these "challenging" wods first because it makes everyone either step up to the plate or back down. Remember this is the process to find the fittest on earth. So the workouts have to be a little challenging or the elite shouldn't even do it. 12AMRAP of air squats and sit ups is something everyone and their grandma can do but its not a good test. If you can't do double unders 14.1 was awful but I am sure that those people who want to be good will be working on their double unders so that next year when they come up they will do much better. Castro raised the level this year at the games with 405lb deadlifts for reps. Now he is raising the game for the open. It is still inclusive. "inclusive" meaning all you need is a bar, plates, rope, pull up bar, etc... to do the workout. NO fancy equipment. This is classic CrossFit workouts. Double unders snatch, OHS and C2B. You knew they were gonna come up in my opinion if you didn't practice them then you can only blame yourself. Enough with the negativity about the workouts. They are programmed well, if you have a weakness work on it so next year it becomes a strength. Rant over.
Completely agree with this. Everyone is complaining about double unders and chest to bar pull ups. These are two things that everyone knew was going to be in the open. There was almost no chance we wouldn't see them. So what's the problem. We knew they would be included and here they are. Does it matter if they are the first thing or the last thing? In my opinion it does not. You knew before you signed up they would be in a work out eventually.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #66
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thunander View Post
Many beginner Crossfitters will also have a difficult time with multiple reps of 95# OHS.
I've been doing it for 2 years and will struggle big time. If you have flexibility issues the OHS will be tough. My issue isn't strength, it's flexibility, or lack there of.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #67
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gonzalez View Post
Completely agree with this. Everyone is complaining about double unders and chest to bar pull ups. These are two things that everyone knew was going to be in the open. There was almost no chance we wouldn't see them. So what's the problem. We knew they would be included and here they are. Does it matter if they are the first thing or the last thing? In my opinion it does not. You knew before you signed up they would be in a work out eventually.
We'll have to agree to disagree then because I think it does matter when and how they program movements that are a step above basic, only because they go out of their way to market this as an inclusive event.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #68
Dan Silva

Profile:

If the PGA held an open, for 5 weeks you played 5 different courses that are the exact same as everyone else in the world - have everyone hit from the tee's from the front of the box for the first couple of weeks. The best of the best would still show themselves, but everyone would have some fun and then you can back up the tee boxes and add more traps/hazards as you move further into the open.
If you make everyone hit from the furthest set of tees right out of the gate and add sandtraps and waterhazards everywhere your going to discourage the majority from signing up again.

I'm not complaining - I actually liked the double-unders right out of the gate because a ton of people were forced to do them and a lot of them were ecstactic about getting double-unders for the first time.
I just think they could've came back with something like the 13.2 wod. The elite would still separate themselves but the beginners are still working hard for 10 minutes and have reps that they can submit and feel accomplished.
A lot of people will be submitting a score of less than 20 and will have worked out for less than 1 minute on this one.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #69
Beth Martino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post
A lot of people will be submitting a score of less than 20 and will have worked out for less than 1 minute on this one.
I'll be submitting a score of 10 on this workout, but then I'll just go on and do the rest of the workout scaled. It's not like I'm going to go to the gym, do 10 OHS, and then leave

I knew that I'd have at least 2 workouts where my score would be next to nothing. Last year I had a 3 on workout 13.4 and a 15 on 13.5. I still can't do C2B but might be able to eke out a couple TTB this year. As long as I see improvement somewhere, it's still worth it for me. Everyone's mileage will vary.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #70
Dean Lehmkuhler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post
If the PGA held an open, for 5 weeks you played 5 different courses that are the exact same as everyone else in the world - have everyone hit from the tee's from the front of the box for the first couple of weeks. The best of the best would still show themselves, but everyone would have some fun and then you can back up the tee boxes and add more traps/hazards as you move further into the open.
If you make everyone hit from the furthest set of tees right out of the gate and add sandtraps and waterhazards everywhere your going to discourage the majority from signing up again.

This actually exists, except it's the USGA qualifying for the U.S. Open. However, you have to have better than 1.4 handicap (think sub 3 minute Fran), pay $120, and the courses are set up as hard and fast as possible... It is a distinct honor to even play in a U.S. Open qualifier. They're obviously NOT trying to make it inclusive.

Maybe HQ is trying to take the CF Open in a slightly more "elite" direction. This is my first year so I really have no idea.