CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #41
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: Pretty glad I didn't sign up for the Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Finishing a marathon is an accomplishment in itself. Completing the open is not hard, doing well and being competitive is.
Completing the Open, doing everything Rx, and truly giving it your all, IS hard, and is an accomplishment, regardless of how competitive you end up in the rankings. I don't know about you, but I've personally seen, heard and read accounts of people finishing marathons who probably can't do a pullup, a pushup or a box jump. Trotting 26 miles doesn't necessarily equate to an awesome accomplishment.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #42
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Jones View Post
I disagree, some people will never be good at double unders no matter how much they practice. One of the better masters in our gym will kill it on ever other workout, but has a hard time with DUs and has been doing Crossfit for several years.
I refuse to believe he couldn't get better at them with practice. That's ridiculous.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #43
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I refuse to believe he couldn't get better at them with practice. That's ridiculous.

Very True, I really dislike Double Unders and have had a rough time with them since I started CrossFit 1.5 years ago.

this is how bad I am at them. in last years Open, 13.3. I completed the 150 Wall Balls in 6:30......and then the wheels fell off, I never completed 90 Dubs in the next 5 1/2 min....LOL. it was pitiful. I got 50 and that was a struggle

This year 14.1 , I was not happy to Dubs in the first wod. I have practiced a lot since last year but still not good. Practiced a lot after 14.1 was announced.

SUPRISE.... I did okay for me , got 235 on 14.1. It is not a great score overall, but considering. Went Unbroken first 30, then 20-10, 10-10-10, then it was tougher. But 5 rounds and 10 dubs I will take

Now they are over with, I am ready to see more Wall Balls, Pushups, Cleans, and Ring Dips.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #44
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reed View Post
Thanks for the info John. I saw on the games site that they take 43 individual men and women in each region plus teams. I was curious to know how many people that signed up for the open had a legit chance at those spots. If your numbers are right, then it's pretty impressive to find 190,000 people signed up without any hope of going any further. Like I said before, I'm not downing the Open. I just know myself enough to know that I would not have been happy with a single digit score on round one. That's just me though.
Think about how many people run 5K's every week who have zero chance of even sniffing a chance at getting a medal/trophy. Most do it as a measure of the work they've put in. The open is no different. I did last year knowing I had no chance but it set a baseline for myself. We all bust our butts in the gym every day, why not see what that work means. Say you finished dead last in every event. You know have a baseline and a goal to work towards next year. At the end of the day it's $20, seeing what most boxes charge I don't think there are many doing crossfit that are going to be put in the poor house over $20.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #45
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
Think about how many people run 5K's every week who have zero chance of even sniffing a chance at getting a medal/trophy. Most do it as a measure of the work they've put in. The open is no different. I did last year knowing I had no chance but it set a baseline for myself. We all bust our butts in the gym every day, why not see what that work means. Say you finished dead last in every event. You know have a baseline and a goal to work towards next year. At the end of the day it's $20, seeing what most boxes charge I don't think there are many doing crossfit that are going to be put in the poor house over $20.
I got a friend who just completed his 10th marathon in the last 1.5 years. Is 40+ and was basically out of shape 18 months ago.

Does better usually everytime. Started with the couch to 5k and went from there. he enjoys competing and running them, and realizes he wont medal like the few.

We don't do the open (most of us) to get to regional. But we know what to expect (or should via coaches) on what to train.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #46
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Completing the Open, doing everything Rx, and truly giving it your all, IS hard, and is an accomplishment, regardless of how competitive you end up in the rankings. I don't know about you, but I've personally seen, heard and read accounts of people finishing marathons who probably can't do a pullup, a pushup or a box jump. Trotting 26 miles doesn't necessarily equate to an awesome accomplishment.
It isn't any harder or much harder than standard crossfit wods though. It isn't like you are completing the workouts they do at the games, that would be an accomplishment because some of those are absolutely grueling.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #47
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

In my experience when I was coaching I learned something about people who suck at double unders...

"Coach could I sub tuck jumps or something or just do 2x single unders, I suck at these and don't want a bad time?"

People who suck at them think they practice them a lot but in reality they spend 2 minutes during warmup trying it, get frustrated and give up, and will always scale them out in a workout. When I learned them it was daily goals. I will get 50 today no matter how long it takes, even if it's 30 minutes. Then as I get better I will get 10 in a row at least 3 times before I quit. Eventually you get to 30 and on.

Mental determination is a big part of fitness. Stop scaling them, have some crappy workout times and commit to learning. Everyone can do it.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #48
Dan Silva

Profile:

Quote:
It isn't any harder or much harder than standard crossfit wods though. It isn't like you are completing the workouts they do at the games, that would be an accomplishment because some of those are absolutely grueling.
Accomplishments are all relative. I could barely snatch 135 prior to 13.1, and I ended up with 13 reps at 135. That score isn't very "good" by comparison to others but it was an accomplishment for me. I redid the wod 2 months ago and got all 30 @ 135 plus the burpees and failed at 165. So, I have accomplished something. I'll continue to work hard and then next year give it another shot.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #49
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post
Accomplishments are all relative. I could barely snatch 135 prior to 13.1, and I ended up with 13 reps at 135. That score isn't very "good" by comparison to others but it was an accomplishment for me. I redid the wod 2 months ago and got all 30 @ 135 plus the burpees and failed at 165. So, I have accomplished something. I'll continue to work hard and then next year give it another shot.
I guess my question would be what is stopping you from doing that in your day to day Crossfit workouts? The point of going to the gym every day is to improve your performance not to just go through the motions.

My whole point is comparing a bunch of people running a marathon who don't have a chance to win to a bunch of people entering the open who don't have a chance to win is an apples to oranges comparison. Mainly because the open wods aren't really any more difficult than normal wods whereas running a marathon in itself is a tough task.

If it takes paying an extra $20 to motivate you to work harder perhaps you should work on that.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #50
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
I guess my question would be what is stopping you from doing that in your day to day Crossfit workouts? The point of going to the gym every day is to improve your performance not to just go through the motions.

My whole point is comparing a bunch of people running a marathon who don't have a chance to win to a bunch of people entering the open who don't have a chance to win is an apples to oranges comparison. Mainly because the open wods aren't really any more difficult than normal wods whereas running a marathon in itself is a tough task.

If it takes paying an extra $20 to motivate you to work harder perhaps you should work on that.
It's the atmosphere, the camaraderie, etc. It's just different from a regular class. I don't push myself as hard everyday as I do in a local competition or the Open. It's being a part of something bigger. And as we've made the point of earlier, many people DO get too comfortable in their regular day to day classes and never push themselves. Like, scaling double unders every time instead of forcing themselves to try them.

You could go out and run 26.2 miles without it being in a marathon. Same for a 5K, 10K, half, etc. And it's still running, it's no harder than any other day when you go out and run.

If you don't like doing the Open, fine, don't do it. All this whining is getting out of control though.