CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Scott Shirley

Profile:
Re: 13.2 AMRAP tips and strategy.

We've already had about 20 people do this WOD and I can tell you that unless your are near elite level, the Step-up is the way to go... male or female. We had a girl this morning get 268 reps and did all step-ups. All of our top scores have been with Step-ups.

We've also had everyone saying that using a stiff-legged deadlift was extremely beneficial. Some started the WOD that way and some switched mid-WOD. The ones that switched mid-WOD said it was a huge relief to their quads.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #32
Beau Davis

Profile:

Gave it another try, only this time did step-ups and did not put the bar down between lifts. I increased my reps from my initial score of 194 to 229.

I also did (as Scott mentioned above) stiff-legged deads. I think this helped me move a little faster, but my lower back and glutes were smoked afterwards.

I still think I could've repped the deads a little faster and maybe sqeezed a few more reps in there.

Last edited by Beau Davis; 03-15-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Davis View Post
Gave it another try, only this time did step-ups and did not put the bar down between lifts. I increased my reps from my initial score of 194 to 229.

I also did (as Scott mentioned above) stiff-legged deads. I think this helped me move a little faster, but my lower back and glutes were smoked afterwards.

I still think I could've repped the deads a little faster and maybe sqeezed a few more reps in there.
Am I the only one who thinks step ups might not be the best answer? Keep in mind i've done the workout and did step ups. I know they were slow for me because I looked at the clock after 1 round and I was exactly a minute and that was with no pause obviously. I think I might be doing these step ups wrong. How do you get into a quick rhythm with such an awkward movement? It's 4 stepping motions in total... one on the box, two on the box, one on the floor, two on the floor. Takes a while to do a rep
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Well FWIW I did it this morning as well. And had read up a bit before going. I am in the first class in the morning and have no chance at going to Regionals so i wanted to test things out. I would say that I am better than the average Crossfitter for the most part. Very rarely will I do rebounding box jumps so not the best person to comment. But I scored 260 (was hoping for cloder to 300), and started the step up about round 3. I know my engine really well and the box jumps just jacked my heart rate too high too early to sustain.

This workout is pretty much just a box jump contest. If you can't do 150+ with just a step down and maintiaing pace, step ups all the way. I think I was just as fast doing them that way as if I was trying to do nothing but jumps. I was about 10 reps behind a guy in the class for quite a while and at 8 minutes he started to break and that is where I passed him.

If I was to do it again I might try and turn it on more the last three rounds or so, just didn't have it this morning. That was my best effort for today and yes my lower back was getting tight.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #35
Beau Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Am I the only one who thinks step ups might not be the best answer? Keep in mind i've done the workout and did step ups. I know they were slow for me because I looked at the clock after 1 round and I was exactly a minute and that was with no pause obviously. I think I might be doing these step ups wrong. How do you get into a quick rhythm with such an awkward movement? It's 4 stepping motions in total... one on the box, two on the box, one on the floor, two on the floor. Takes a while to do a rep
I don't know. For me, I'm a tall guy, so 24" step-ups aren't that tough for me. Box jumps, on the other hand, knock me out. On my initial attempt, after the box jumps my heart rate was sky high, so I would just stand there and stare at the bar for a few seconds. On my second go, doing step-ups, I was able to keep a more consistent pace. I really didn't start to get winded until the last couple of rounds (as opposed to being spent after my first two or three rounds on my first attempt).

Now we have a couple of monsters in our gym (both were in the Regionals last year) that make box jumps look too easy. For those type guys, box jumps are probably the way to go. Flaunt it if you got it.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Obviously without seeing your stepups vs. others, it's hard to judge why some might be quicker but if I can wildly speculate, I'd bet you're showing more control at the top and bottom than others. Most stepups I see are nothing more than one step up, and a toe tap with the other foot then that toe-tap foot drops back down. The other foot that was first on the box is second to the ground and again just a toe tap before going back up. Is that what you were doing?
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #37
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Obviously without seeing your stepups vs. others, it's hard to judge why some might be quicker but if I can wildly speculate, I'd bet you're showing more control at the top and bottom than others. Most stepups I see are nothing more than one step up, and a toe tap with the other foot then that toe-tap foot drops back down. The other foot that was first on the box is second to the ground and again just a toe tap before going back up. Is that what you were doing?
I think you're correct. I was doing for example

-right foot up
-left foot up (pause to show control)
-right foot down
-left foot down

I definitely saw some other people at my gym not showing control at the top but since i'm not going to qualify for regionals I felt like the integrity of my reps was most important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Davis View Post
I don't know. For me, I'm a tall guy, so 24" step-ups aren't that tough for me. Box jumps, on the other hand, knock me out. On my initial attempt, after the box jumps my heart rate was sky high, so I would just stand there and stare at the bar for a few seconds. On my second go, doing step-ups, I was able to keep a more consistent pace. I really didn't start to get winded until the last couple of rounds (as opposed to being spent after my first two or three rounds on my first attempt).

Now we have a couple of monsters in our gym (both were in the Regionals last year) that make box jumps look too easy. For those type guys, box jumps are probably the way to go. Flaunt it if you got it.
I'm 6'2" and the step ups were certainly easier than jumping but slower. And they tired me out. My quads/hamstrings were burning whereas most people seemed to be limited by their lower back.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #38
Michael MacDowell

Profile:

John - we are almost identical build (not nearly the same age) and I did the exact step up process you described except I led with my left (being a lefty I guess is why). They were not terribly tiring but felt very slow. I did 196 and I'm a little disappointed. Wanted low to mid 200s. Believe it or not the overheads bothered me most. Overall my pace should have been better. I'm not sure the issue. Tougher than it looked! Nice job everyone.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #39
Dan Silva

Profile:

Quote:
John - I watched another group do the wod and I timed my step-up strategy against some guys who were doing box jumps that generally have the same ability as myself. With their rest time from being gassed I kept a much quicker pace constantly moving on step ups.
My exact movement:
Left foot on the box
Bring Right foot on the box, make sure hips have popped/full extension at top
quickly hop off box, land on both feet but have left foot ready to come back on the box.
So the cadence is Up, Up, Down, Up, Up, Down etc....
As opposed to step up and down which would be up, up, down, down
Old 03-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MacDowell View Post
John - we are almost identical build (not nearly the same age) and I did the exact step up process you described except I led with my left (being a lefty I guess is why). They were not terribly tiring but felt very slow. I did 196 and I'm a little disappointed. Wanted low to mid 200s. Believe it or not the overheads bothered me most. Overall my pace should have been better. I'm not sure the issue. Tougher than it looked! Nice job everyone.
I am a little disappointed too. Like you the shoulder to overhead was difficult for me toward the end. We have the same build and the same thoughts on our performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Silva View Post
John - I watched another group do the wod and I timed my step-up strategy against some guys who were doing box jumps that generally have the same ability as myself. With their rest time from being gassed I kept a much quicker pace constantly moving on step ups.
My exact movement:
Left foot on the box
Bring Right foot on the box, make sure hips have popped/full extension at top
quickly hop off box, land on both feet but have left foot ready to come back on the box.
So the cadence is Up, Up, Down, Up, Up, Down etc....
As opposed to step up and down which would be up, up, down, down
I see. You did step ups but not step downs. I didn't do this because I'm scared by all the achilles talk on here.