CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Snir Golan

Profile:
Re: 13.2 AMRAP tips and strategy.

just finished 13.2 with 216. i will say this: in this workout, step up step downs were the way to go for me. i did it with another person that did jump up and down and the speed was pretty much the same. the step up and downs made it much easier for me and really saved my quads and allowed me to use them much more on the SOH.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
Kelli Talaska

Profile:

Don't know about you guys, but I am eager to see how Jenny Labaw freaks out her doctor getting up on that box.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Brent Muir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Zabrenski View Post
Yes, if you look at the 13.2 description on the Games website, under the demo picture all the way at the bottom of the page, it says "You may jump or step up or down as long as both feet start on the ground and both feet end on the box in control." http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open#tabs-2 (WFS)
Dropping the bar after the push press and just letting it bounce back into my grip to start DL was fine with me as i needed a breath or two. I did all jumps until I was getting tired which was at the 3rd round and then did 5 jumps 5 steps and 5 jumps. Or just split it up according to how I was feeling, sometimes more step ups but tried to finish with jumps. I ended up with 209. Having a judge to push you is always a plus for me....even though I was 1 box jump from finishing rnd 7
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
John Holcombe

Profile:

Just did the workout as well as watched a lot of people do it. Pretty tired but here's some observations

-modest goal was over 200. When I finished I thought I was probably at about 220 but my score was 201
-did step ups and step downs only
-contrary to what I'm seeing in here I believe step ups are definitely slower
-best score in the gym was 272 and he did the box jumps until about 8 reps then did a few step ups to regain a little oxygen then finished each round with a couple jumps
-if I was to do it again is jump up and step down on like half my reps. Not willing to land on my achilles that many times but jumping up might boost my score a little
-the step ups were a little awkward. Each time you go up you have to put each foot on the box and same when coming down so I kinda felt like a soldier doing marching drills

Sorry for being all over the place or any spelling mistakes. Posting from my phone and still pretty tired.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Dan Silva

Profile:

I posted this in the other games forum, but its better served here I guess

"I just completed this - 234 reps. I did step ups the whole time.

There were 2 other guys in the class that I would consider much better crossfitters than myself. Not than Fran is good comparison to this wod but I'm a 4:15 Fran guy and they are both a full minute under my time. In this wod I beat one guy by 20+ reps and the other only beat me by a few which I would consider a bad wod for him.

Step ups are the way to go unless you are an elite level crossfitter and you can pop on and off the box every single round."

I will add - if you gave me a wod with 3 rounds of 15 box jumps, I would pop on and off without issue and it would be much quicker. The step up pace is solely to save your legs and energy for 10 full minutes.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I did a 5-minute tryout of this tonight. Just to not wear myself out, I tried to do it EMOM - held about 50 second pace then gave myself the rest of the minute to rest. I'm pretty psyched about this one, box jumps are right in my wheelhouse.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

235 for me. Step ups the whole time. I suck at box jumps-my rebound is slow. I did three rounds prior, testing each method-rebound, jump step down and a step up. The step up round time was close enough to the rebound to make it worth my while since rebounding destroys me and I am all spooked about blowing up my Achilles. I am no bunny rabbit.

I have never done a WOD doing step ups prior to this.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Mike Derasmo

Profile:

I tryed it tonight with box jump, but I gas'd hardcore half way through which made the reads and pushes suffer.

Think I'll do it again with steps up, think it will help?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
Tim Squires

Profile:

Both my wife and a training partner performed the WOD today with step up/step downs only. My wife is 5'0 and id say an above average crossfitter. My training partner is 6'0 and an average crossfitter. She got 270 and he got 266. Both of them moved the entire time and commented on having fresh legs at the end. The limiting factor from maintaining a faster speed was lower back fatigue for the both of them.

For the other people around who were rebounding, the vast majority were burned out around halfway through the WOD and were forced to take longer breaks on top of the box.

For non elite women, I believe step ups are the way to go. For men with the taller box, I'm still under the impression that jump ups and step downs will be slightly faster than all steps, assuming you're always moving and can maintain for the entire workout. I plan on timing out the speed difference tomorrow but assuming jump up/step downs are +\- 3 seconds faster than all steps, then I will attempt to maintain that when I perform the workout - falling back on step ups if fatigue sets in.

Most people I spoke to, including my wife and friend, said the major deciding factor of success is the mental capacity to keep moving.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
Steven Kiernan

Profile:

I did 13.2 this morning, the first class scheduled at the gym for the day. No thought to strategy. Started with jump up, step down (I generally step down with box jumps due concerns about potential for Achilles injuries). Totally gassed by round 3. Switched to steps ups but had pushed over the red line and couldn't
bring it back. Got 226. Not that happy.

I read a lot of posts by people talking about the advantages of step up, step down strategy (including in this thread and on our gym's Beyond the Whiteboard). So went back to the box this evening. Did WOD again. 253 reps. Happy with that. This time general fatigue was the barrier to more reps rather than being too gassed out. Less smashed at the end too - no collapsing in a heap.

Who knows, maybe could've got more reps if it wasn't second WOD for the day. But not doing it again!