CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Jayme Gruber

Profile:
Re: 14.1 What do you think it will be?

I don't think we'll ever see bar muscle ups solely for the fact that a lot of people don't have bars on their rigs, at home, etc where you can do them.

If some garage CF person just has a pullup bar it's likely too close to the ceiling for them to do MUs on it. Up until a few months ago, our gyms Rogue racks didn't have bars you could do MUs on, then we bought Dirty South attachments.

As for 14.1 it will be something more all inclusive and somewhat fun. CrossFit makes a ton of money off the Open and they know 1,000s of people are waiting to hear what it is before they sign up. It won't be MUs, nothing but wall balls, etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
Kenny Markwardt

Profile:

I do hope they do a little better this year at making the workouts inclusive. I realize its to find the fittest on earth, but if they're going to push for "everyone" to sign up, everyone should be able to get at least a handful of reps into the workout. I had a few girls that couldn't do the shoulder to overhead weight in 13.2, and it was pretty discouraging for them. I know there is no way for literally everyone to be able to do everything without it becoming the P90x Open, but just a little would be nice.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I don't think we'll ever see bar muscle ups solely for the fact that a lot of people don't have bars on their rigs, at home, etc where you can do them.

If some garage CF person just has a pullup bar it's likely too close to the ceiling for them to do MUs on it. Up until a few months ago, our gyms Rogue racks didn't have bars you could do MUs on, then we bought Dirty South attachments.

As for 14.1 it will be something more all inclusive and somewhat fun. CrossFit makes a ton of money off the Open and they know 1,000s of people are waiting to hear what it is before they sign up. It won't be MUs, nothing but wall balls, etc.
I think if they show up it will be at the back end of a work out like last year and the year before.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
Alex Romero

Profile:

I don't have any bold predictions, but I think the burpee pullup/C2B will make an appearance
Old 02-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #25
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

I think the burpee will make an appearance in 14.1, but more likely some variation of the burpee box over. Easier to judge - hit the burpee, get over the top of the box, no hip extension required. Wouldn't mind seeing a repeat of 13.1 with the burpee box jump over instead of the burpee, actually.

As far as the rest of the workouts go, I'm predicting 13.4 as the repeat workout, and hopefully handstand push-ups make an appearance.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #26
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Markwardt View Post
I do hope they do a little better this year at making the workouts inclusive. I realize its to find the fittest on earth, but if they're going to push for "everyone" to sign up, everyone should be able to get at least a handful of reps into the workout. I had a few girls that couldn't do the shoulder to overhead weight in 13.2, and it was pretty discouraging for them. I know there is no way for literally everyone to be able to do everything without it becoming the P90x Open, but just a little would be nice.
Which is why they should try and be as inclusive as possible. Having 138,000 or so people signing up and eliminating 75% of them in week 1 would be a major fail. Most people base signing up off what they have seen the last few years. The step ups were a way to make things more inclusive last year as well and I thought it was a good idea.

My guess is that about 90% of everyone would have been able to post half decent scores through to week 4 last year. The C & J/T2B and the thruster/C2B would have been a separator for sure
Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Amrap-7
burpee toes to bar

Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #28
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Campbell View Post
I think if they show up it will be at the back end of a work out like last year and the year before.
Completely agree. With ring muscleups, we'll always have them a few weeks in at the end of a long WOD. I doubt we ever see bar muscleups in the open though.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #29
Edward Krotz

Profile:

based off of judges course i think 14.1 will be squat cleans and bar facing hand release burpees. weight 95, 135, 185, 225, 250.

bar mu as well at some point as there was a lot on those in the course.

a retest of one of the past wods as well.

maybe KBS and/or SDHP

Last edited by Edward Krotz : 02-25-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
Ryan Pye

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Krotz View Post
based off of judges course i think 14.1 will be squat cleans and bar facing hand release burpees. weight 95, 135, 185, 225, 250.

bar mu as well at some point as there was a lot on those in the course.

a retest of one of the past wods as well.

maybe KBS and/or SDHP
Not to say they won't but it seems silly to do "squat" cleans. That is just adding in a factor that makes it more difficult to judge. I could see cleans paired with bar over burpees like you are suggesting though. Seems like a good/inclusive workout that allows them to build some separation into it at the end.