CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #1
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I spent some time this morning talking to an acquaintance that is getting over an unpleasant stay in the hospital, which resulted from ingestion of an herbal arnica extract. He had been taking the arnica extract because a friend recommended it for muscle and joint soreness. Without boring you with the toxicology, the bottom line is that ingestion of arnica is not recommended.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to caution you all against haphazardly consuming herbs and supplements, solely on the basis of a recommendation from a friend, unscrupulous health care practitioner, or snake-oil salesman (so many out there).

I am certain that some of these herbs are likely to have beneficial pharmacological properties. However, the amount of background science (efficacy and safety) and regulation of manufacturing (purity, potency, quality) for many of these herbs is substandard at best.

Please be careful!

Brad
Old 02-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great point and we should also point out that herbs, suppliments, and (for some) drugs are less than 1% of the equation. Suppliment companies would like you to think they are 60% or more. After your diet and exercise are in line and have been for over six months, then you could start playing with enhancements (not counting fish oil and an occasional protein powder. . .which I consider food).