CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-12-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
simpson go

Profile:  
can you guys help me on how to prepare for a bjj tournament or a sub grappling tournament. What type of running should i do? Sprints are long distance? How long should i run? How many weeeks should i train?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2002, 01:30 PM   #2
Sim

Profile:  
I meant sprints "or" long distance. Also I'm not weight lifting right now so should I do push-ups, sit-ups, etc?
Old 10-12-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
The crossfit work out is "IT" for MMA preparation. Read the foundations section and the coaches corner...here you will see the descriptions of various athletic paramaters and their relative importance in MMA and other functional activities (military, fire, police etc.)
If you have further questions, don't be shy.
Robb
Old 10-15-2002, 04:23 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I second what Robert says. Get on the CrossFit regemine immediately. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and it has helped my endurance tremendously.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:11 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
This question is for everyone but hopefully Frank and a few other MMA's in particular. How much additional training are you doing? I Have been doing Capoeira only about once/week (2+ hr class...it really drags me down) but I want to incorperate 2 days/week of BJJ (about 1.5 hrs each) and to train the capoeira a bit more as well. On the days in which I do a MA should I really bring down the volume/intensity of the WOD? Should I substitute a WOD with things like heavy bag work and floor routine gymnastics stuff?
Sorry if this is a bit nebulus...but I have been pretty prone to ever training and am on a very tight schedule. I need to ratchet up my caloric intake but the quality is good. I am also making sleep a major priority. So...any suggestions/ideas/musings would be really appreciated.
Robb
Old 10-16-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Robert,
It is come clean time. What I am about to tell you is what works for me, not everyone. The gods blessed me with a very vast recovering body, I handle stress and intensity well.

In addition to the CrossFit WOD I do the following:
I do 25 pullups, switching the 3 grips each day,
100 pushups, 25 ab wheels, every morning.
I grapple 3 days a week for an hour and a half.
I follow a basic powerlifting regimen(Mon-BP,Wed-DL, Fri-SQUAT at 0515 in the AM.
I do bag work for 30 minutes, 3 times per week.
I train knife, rifle/bayonet, or shovel(trust me, you do not want a piece of me and my spetsnaz shovel) at least once a week.
I do yoga EVERYDAY...
The important thing is, I listen to my body. When I am spent, I rest, when I am tired, I take a day off, When I have excess energy I try new things, and when I am exhausted I am obviously doing CrossFit.
Read my quote, it sums up my philosophy of life.
EAT RIGHT, SLEEP WELL, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, AND YOU WILL PROSPER
Old 10-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
KREIKY!!!!!
Thanks Frank!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 AM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Of course, with my career change coming soon, an medical school looming, I will have to back way off. I am going to reverse my Karma, stop throwing the bullets and fix the holes.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:39 AM   #9
Ron McCord

Profile:  
Hey Frank. What the heck do you do with a spetsnaz shovel?
Old 10-29-2002, 06:42 AM   #10
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ron...you do not want to know...