CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Tex728

Profile:  
Hello, my brother (14) started running track last year. He's never been particularly active in sports until last years track season. He began to complain of knee pain whenever he ran. He was then diagnosed by a Sports Physician as having Osgood-Schlatter. Which according to (www.kidskneepain.com) "caused by the powerful thigh muscles pulling on the attachment point of the patellar tendon on the tibial tuberosity during activity."
The doc gave him two exercises that he was supposed to do to rehab the area. The first was holding the quads contracted while sitting leg extended. He was to hold for 2-3 sec, for 10-20 times.
The second was a straight leg raise similar to a one leg flutterkick, except the leg is locked and again held contraction of the quadriceps.
This past summer I introduced him to working out something he's really never done before. I began teaching him exercises a la CrossFit. With particular emphasis on Deadlifts, and Cleans, something he picked up surprisingly fast.
So the question. I'm going to put him on a general conditioning program with special attention to rehab the knee. http://familydoctor.org/x1750.xml?printxml is quoted as saying: "Your doctor may prescribe some exercises . . .to strengthen the quadriceps and hamstrings."
I will be making a program that will be 3 months and follow the minimalist template in the "The Garage Gym" CrossFit Journal.
Day ONE: deadlifts, Tabata squats
Day TWO: push-press and push-ups
Day THREE: cleans and pullups
Day FOUR: some kind of cardio starting out with Tabata Intervals of the jump rope.
So my question (thank you for your patience with this long post) Is there anything I should add, change? (yes I know the program is very very general) What about things to watch out for?