CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Allison Foreman

Profile:
There are different types of climbers or steppers available in the commercial market. The StepMill (a proprietary piece of equipment manufactured by Nautilus Health & Fitness Group, who purchased the company Stairmaster a few years ago), which is the never-ending flight of stairs, and a variety of pedal-type vertical climbers many generically referred to as Stairmasters. Some manufacturers of steppers or climbers include Nautilus, Cybex, Precor, Vision, Lifefitness, etc. The climbers are a load bearing (have to support your own body weight) non-impact (your feet don't leave the pedals - path of motion is a vertical ellipse) piece, while the StepMill is a load bearing impact piece of equipment. Impact of the exercise alters slightly with which piece you're using. There are a few non-commercial climbers available in the market, but its generally a commercial piece due to expense.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Don King

Profile:
Keith -

My bad on the price comment. So you got a problem with Curves? I bet the legs at Curves are a lot less hairy than at Crossfit. Anyway, you have some good points and I will always opt for a real flight of stairs over a stairstepper. I'm with Elliot in that I guess I'm not a pureist, I continue to do non-Crossfit isolated exercises as well as the stairstepper(just don't tell Coach so I don't get kicked off the boards)

Thanks for everyone's input.

(Message edited by tnjeepyj on October 27, 2006)
Old 10-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Jonathan McMahan

Profile:
i wish i had known stepmills were no good and were for commercial use only....but the facts are that alot of guys(firefighter friends of mine) who crossfit every day put on the 50-75lb vest and get smoked when they come play in my living room; and they seem to have the same burning sensation in the legs for days afterwardshttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/32175.jpg
Old 10-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Get a weighted vest...find the tallest public building...and use their steps for free!!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #15
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Goat trails, or screw it, who needs trails. Find a good rocky hill.