CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #41
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: 2015 CrossFit Games open ideas... Lets hear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Neumeyer View Post
Ok, I understand you now - and I think that would be a better solution than what they have described. Personally, I like the old system better than this new one; with the growth of Crossfit I don't see how they can logically rationalize having just over half the spots available at regionals.
My guess would be costs. Regionals most likely burn money, while open and games have positive net income. So the idea would be to minimize loses from regional?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #42
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
My guess would be costs. Regionals most likely burn money, while open and games have positive net income. So the idea would be to minimize loses from regional?
They charge the athletes and spectators to get into the regionals events and the judges are all volunteers. I'm sure they're not making money on them but I wouldn't imagine they take that big of a hit that it would be the deciding factor. They make money over fist in so many other areas.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #43
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Charge more to see them... with combined regionals you will get a better show.. I did like to see friends who are very good but not going to the games compete.. What ever they come up with I am sure that it will be still new and exciting. Good to have the best athletes compete for the games. Love South America, Asia, Africa... but they don't do that well in the games. Big changes come with big risk to HQ also.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #44
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I figured it would go this way eventually. For it to be what it is it has to. Everyone's always whining about being inclusive and letting everyone compete. It's a competition. By definition they are exclusive. Could you imagine if for weightlifting anyone could go to worlds and see if they stack up to the best? That way they may have an outside chance of going to the Olympics. No. There's a natural progression to these things. You compete locally, then you compete in other cities, then you compete regionally, then nationally, then worlds, and then Olympics.

Crossfit is no different IMO. It's partially why I stopped doing the open years ago because like Jason said... Who cares? It's all an ego trip. 'Oh ya I was 200 in my region out of 1500 people total.' Well la dee da here's a cookie. Rich froning is still better than you. I personally think they should scrap the open. The setup is already there by virtue of there being local comps all over the place. I say just have games sponsored local sectionals like they had way back and then continue on with regionals and all that. It would help weed out people who aren't competitors. There's always some insane guy in every region who destroys the open then goes to regionals where there's a venue and an audience and gets last. It doesn't produce good competitors.

I dunno, maybe in just a *******, but being so inclusive is dumb. If you know you're good enough to go to the games you don't need the open to tell you that.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #45
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I figured it would go this way eventually. For it to be what it is it has to. Everyone's always whining about being inclusive and letting everyone compete. It's a competition. By definition they are exclusive. Could you imagine if for weightlifting anyone could go to worlds and see if they stack up to the best? That way they may have an outside chance of going to the Olympics. No. There's a natural progression to these things. You compete locally, then you compete in other cities, then you compete regionally, then nationally, then worlds, and then Olympics.

Crossfit is no different IMO. It's partially why I stopped doing the open years ago because like Jason said... Who cares? It's all an ego trip. 'Oh ya I was 200 in my region out of 1500 people total.' Well la dee da here's a cookie. Rich froning is still better than you. I personally think they should scrap the open. The setup is already there by virtue of there being local comps all over the place. I say just have games sponsored local sectionals like they had way back and then continue on with regionals and all that. It would help weed out people who aren't competitors. There's always some insane guy in every region who destroys the open then goes to regionals where there's a venue and an audience and gets last. It doesn't produce good competitors.

I dunno, maybe in just a *******, but being so inclusive is dumb. If you know you're good enough to go to the games you don't need the open to tell you that.
That would be interesting... Using the Granite Games, OC Throwdown, and SuperFit Games, for example, as "sectionals", and that top scorers may be thrown an invite by HQ to compete in the Regionals. Entrance criteria would be based on performances in these events, past performances in the Games, and verified benchmark workout times and max weights lifted.

I would also be OK with having a sectionals weekend in multiple locations-OR- two regional stages. But, I doubt that would happen for a while thus I would go for the two part open with the online sectional being the second part of the 'open'.