CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
Cory House

Profile:
Re: 2015 CrossFit Games open ideas... Lets hear them

Specific details are not out yet, but curious to hear peoples thoughts on combining regions once it gets to the regional level and basically you have top 20 from two regions going head to head for 5 spots to the games.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
David Greenwalt

Profile:

Really like that there may be a Scaled division for the 2015 Open!

http://therxreview.com/2015-crossfit...nals-combined/
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

If they;re going from 48 (I think) individuals per region to 20 then I wonder how much the teams will be reduced from 30 down to?

Our gym has been close to regionals the last few years but I fear this will make it almost impossible for us to send a team now which is a huge bummer.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
If they;re going from 48 (I think) individuals per region to 20 then I wonder how much the teams will be reduced from 30 down to?

Our gym has been close to regionals the last few years but I fear this will make it almost impossible for us to send a team now which is a huge bummer.
Yeah it definitely will knock quite a few gyms just hoping to get there...my gym barely made it in last year finishing 27th in the open but as you said we don't have near as good of a chance making it into top 15 of our region.

It will make the teams more competitive as well by keeping people that were top in the 20-40 range before on a team potentially.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Greenwalt View Post
Really like that there may be a Scaled division for the 2015 Open!

http://therxreview.com/2015-crossfit...nals-combined/
I actually think the scaled division is just another great way to make money, anyone can scale the workouts. With that said I guess you don't get to compare yourself to others around the world by scaling on your own and not entering a score.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory House View Post
Specific details are not out yet, but curious to hear peoples thoughts on combining regions once it gets to the regional level and basically you have top 20 from two regions going head to head for 5 spots to the games.
I don't like it at all. Crossfit is growing; there will be more people in the Open - but instead of 48 people per region going to Regionals it's 20. Not only is it going to be tougher to make Regionals, it's going to be tougher to make the Games. 5 people between two Regionals instead of the 6 that made it previous years. In terms of statistics; it's 58% harder to make Regionals; and 17% harder to make the Games.

Using this last year, we would have all missed out on watching Cody Anderson's amazing performance (he wouldn't have made Regionals).

Edit - the above is for N.America/Canada regions; it will be different for regions that combine with Latin America, Asia, and Africa.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
Jason A Smith

Profile:

This eventually could have the exact opposite effect that they want. Honestly I have little to no interest in the Open this year regardless. I have done it since 2011 and the whole thing has changed dramatically. I mean really, why pay the $20 to see that I am 90-100th in my Region anyways ? Do I care that badly ? There is no way I am top 20, with a job, two kids, my age. Wonder how many Games folks were not in the top 20 in their Region last year ?

The scaled events are a play at money plain and simple in order to fund and stage bigger events. I think Crossfit is great and I will continue to compete at times just not sure if they need my $20 that badly.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #28
Cory House

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
This eventually could have the exact opposite effect that they want. Honestly I have little to no interest in the Open this year regardless. I have done it since 2011 and the whole thing has changed dramatically. I mean really, why pay the $20 to see that I am 90-100th in my Region anyways ? Do I care that badly ? There is no way I am top 20, with a job, two kids, my age. Wonder how many Games folks were not in the top 20 in their Region last year ?

The scaled events are a play at money plain and simple in order to fund and stage bigger events. I think Crossfit is great and I will continue to compete at times just not sure if they need my $20 that badly.
This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Do you guys think the open standards (more weight/advanced movements) will increase since they are adding a scaled division?
Old 11-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #29
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I'm not sure I understand the changes or how they will play out in the competition season. I do understand that HQ is trying to level the playing field between regions. It should be interesting to see if the changes are better than the way they were doing things before.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory House View Post
Do you guys think the open standards (more weight/advanced movements) will increase since they are adding a scaled division?
Absolutely.