CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I was looking around for an olympic weight set with bumper plates, found this set at sears. How well do you think it would put up with mild to moderate dropping on the ground? I tend to have a habit of holding onto the weight as opposed to just dropping it after doing say a c&j so I probably won't be doing too much where it banging into the floor will be a concern, but I like to be prepared anyway. Here's the link; http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=FIT&pid=00 615738000&tab=des#tablink

Thanks!
Josh
Old 06-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i really dont think that those plates are made for dropping. also it doesnt say anything about the bar, so it may not spin well. o-liting plates are all rubber, not cast iron with rubber coating. if you are looking for plates to drop i would suggest looking somewhere else.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:29 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Looks to me like those are just iron plates with a thin rubber coating - not proper bumpers.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Josh,

I have the 45s from that set. Peter's right - they are rubber coated plates, but do run relatively cheap. I have dropped them from overhead onto 3/4" rubber matting without any apparent ill effect to the plates or my bar, but I'm not entirely comfortable doing this. Because of this, I do like you describe and never drop it from cleans, snatches, etc. unless it's a missed lift.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
Nic Nakis

Profile:
I bought a solid cast iron set from GI Joe's. The plates are holding up fine and I've only dropped them a couple times. But, the other day, doing OHS with my bodyweight, I dropped and broke the bar.

Careful with the cheap stuff, it might bite you in a month or two and it'll be too late to return it.

Good luck -
Old 06-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
By the time you drop and break one bar, then buy another one, you could have bought a decent O-bar and plates from Chapman or BFS. Doing cleans, jerks, and snatches with a real O-bar is completly diffrent from doing them with cheepo bars. Also, just the thought of "if I drop this I may break the bar" is asking for injury. You need to be able to bail in 1/100th of a second if a lift goes bad, without hesitation, decent O-bars and bumper plates let you do that.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Ok, I'm not getting this set then. Even though it's almost impossible for me to do snatches/overhead squat (which are really the only two lifts I'd need to bail on) because of my wrist, I'd still rather get at least 2 45 lb. bumpers. Actually, nother q, If I don't lift more than 150-160 for olympic lifts what's the smallest sized bumper I can get away with safely?

Also what do you guys think of this set as a regular iron plate set?
http://bsolympicgym.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2064
Old 06-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
25# are good because we see 95# thrusters a lot in the WOD. I have 2-25, 2-10, and 2-35's, I suppliment with iron plates (you could mix rubber and iron...a little). I still need to get 45's. Even when Lincoln explains how easy it is to convert metric to standard measurements I stare at the screen and drool. Never good at that fancy 'rithmetic stuff!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Actually... If I get a power rack and us that for olympic lifts, do I need bumpers? Or are the catch bars too weak for catching a missed oly lift?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Anyone?