CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Greg Fairbanks

Profile:
Time-keeping devices/methods/ideas?

Wednesday's WOD (the max pullups per minute one that I haven't done yet) got me to thinking - what are you people using to keep your time (and to let you know when determined intervals of time have been reached)? Is there something cheap and easy that will act as a stopwatch AND beep for each minute? I suppose I could take my Macbook to the gym and use the Tabata timer, but that seems kinda ridiculous doesn't it?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Cory Holman

Profile:
Re: Time-keeping devices/methods/ideas?

I always just get a buddy w/ a stop watch to time me. And on yesterdays pull up per minute work out I just had my friend tell me right when each minute started so I would know when to do the pull ups
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Christopher Obuchowski

Profile:

a great, relatively cheap interval/round timer goes under the name "gymboss". .. just google it. Great for tabatas, fight gone bad, etc.
work and rest intervals can be different lengths, for as many rounds as you want.
The only drawback is that it doesn't have a stopwatch function.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I've been using the iPhone, which has a number of options. There is a built in clock with a stopwatch. Then you can get any number of free 'stopwatch' style apps from the App Store, with big full-screen displays that are easy to read from distance.

I also downloaded an app called 'IntervalTimer' (99 cents i think) for Tabata. It's not pretty but it's good - you can program all sorts of different intervals, and you can program a number of different sounds to play at the start/end of a round. The screen also flashes and changes color at those points so it's very easy to tell when to stop and go.

Now if only it could keep track of my reps as well, it would be perfect! Not sure how to manage that.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
Victor Putz

Profile:

Ask me again in a couple weeks. I'm making a Project of this, but it'll take a few revisions to get right, and then we'll beat the design flaws out of it. More details once I have anything worth showing, but I think it'll be pretty good.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
Matt Turner

Profile:

I just set the countdown timer on my Timex for 1 minute with a repeat at the end. Makes a bunch of beeps at the end of each 60 seconds and keeps counting 1 minute intervals until I stop it. Just got a new $40 one that even keeps track of how many times it has repeated itself. Works for me.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Greg Fairbanks

Profile:

Thanks for the thoughts! That 'Gymboss' does look like it might fit the bill. I'd love to have an iPhone but AT&T is not so good around here - I suppose all of the same apps are available for the iPod Touch, which IS something I've been thinking about snagging.

I'm a lonely Crossfitter at my Snap Fitness, so I don't really have anyone to keep time for me (sounds soooo luxurious!)...

I haven't really been stressing out about being super exact till now, as I'm starting to get the point where I really wanna start maxing out my performances and truly tracking my progress.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
I've been using the iPhone, which has a number of options.
You should try the "Fight Gone Mobile" app. As well as access to WOD and comments, it has a stopwatch and interval timer. The timer can be configured for up to 10 rounds with anywhere from 20 second up to 515 second rounds with 10 to 155 second rest. Probably not as handy as the Gymboss, but only 1.99.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Turner View Post
I just set the countdown timer on my Timex for 1 minute with a repeat at the end. Makes a bunch of beeps at the end of each 60 seconds and keeps counting 1 minute intervals until I stop it. Just got a new $40 one that even keeps track of how many times it has repeated itself. Works for me.
I use a timex as well - works great for tabata, FGB, and any other type of interval I've thrown at it. Only gripe is mine doesn't show repeats like Matt's.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Webernick View Post
You should try the "Fight Gone Mobile" app. As well as access to WOD and comments, it has a stopwatch and interval timer. The timer can be configured for up to 10 rounds with anywhere from 20 second up to 515 second rounds with 10 to 155 second rest. Probably not as handy as the Gymboss, but only 1.99.
Sweet, will do! May as well clean up while the yen is still strong.