CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Ryan Janus

Profile:
South Beach Diet, anyone?

It seems the Zone diet is the standard recommendation here. I don't know anything about the Zone, but I've had success with Dr. Agatston's South Beach "Diet." (Diet is in quotes because, as I'm sure all of you know, we're talking about lifetime eating habits, not a diet which you go "on" and "off".) It seems the South Beach program preaches pretty much what Crossfit does - lean meats, veggies, nuts/seeds, fruits, some grains (whole grains only), limited starch and no sugar. Also, he preaches eating five or six smaller meals rather than the coffee-for-breakfast + two binge fests common to most of America. So I guess it can't be that different from the Zone. After getting up to 220 lbs, my heaviest ever, I started with South Beach about six months ago, before I started Crossfit. I lost fat and felt great, so I have no intention of switching to another program. Now that I've added Crossfit trianing, I feel even better, and I'm holding steady at around 190 lbs, which I think is pretty close to an ideal weight for 6'2". In particular, I like South Beach because of all the great recipes in the supplementary cookbooks. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there in CF Land who does South Beach.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: South Beach Diet, anyone?

nothing wrong with it.. its moderate protein and low carb.. and an easy menu plan. If your a foodie, its has alot of support from multiple chefs around the world. his Mediterranean south beach has been out for a while and need to look at it. Coming from an italian family, its always an welcome plate if something that i grew up on... I just hate paying 30 bucks a plate for now but when I was a kid it was on the table once week we would scoff at it.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I don't know a whole lot about the southbeach diet but the zone is the standard because it's a solid starting point and it's easily manipulated to fit an individual. Joe crossfit can start with the regular zone. The firebreather can add blocks to fit there fitness level and reactions to certain levels of macronutrients. I used the paleo diet for the longest time. I switch to the zone because I wanted to be a better athlete and keep track of what I put in my body.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

There is nothing wrong with the South Beach Diet, it will teach you better eating habits and portion control. When people ask me about my diet (Paleo), within seconds they say there is no way I can do that, I tell them to check out the Zone, Atkins and South Beach Diet. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I agree with Frank and Doug.

This was another diet I critically analyzed for an exam I was taking.

The macronutrient profiles for the daily meal prescriptions of Phase III (this is important, I don't think the first two phases support performance nutrition, I would go straight to the maintenance phase) were 39% fat, 25% protein, and 36% carbohydrate. That was with an average of 1617 calories and 101 grams of fat. For performance, I would add more calories by adding more protein, ie increase your portions of meat, but other than that, I think its a good diet as well.

In fact, I recommend to busy clients who want an easy plan that they look into it because the South Beach Diet sells frozen dinners that they can take to work with them and the cook books have some great recipes.

I'm a bit of a foodie myself so I want my clients enjoying their food as well as preparing it.

The only caveat for me is the use of artificial sweeteners. I'm against them in desserts, especially aspartame and sucralose (splenda). Just seems wrong. Some studies have shown that although splenda is calorie free, it still stimulates the release of insulin and release of glycogen from the liver. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners just stimulates your need for "sweet" flavors. So, since I love to cook and eat, I have my own solutions for them that don't involve eating chemicals.

Two references:
Lara-Castro C, Garvey WT. “Diet, insulin resistance, and obesity: zoning in on data for Atkins dieters living in South Beach.” J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Sep;89(9):4197-205

Shai I, Schwarzfuchs D, Henkin Y, Shahar DR, Witkow S, Greenberg I, Golan R, Fraser D, Bolotin A, Vardi H, Tangi-Rozental O, Zuk-Ramot R, Sarusi B, Brickner D, Schwartz Z, Sheiner E, Marko R, Katorza E, Thiery J, Fiedler GM, Blüher M, Stumvoll M, Stampfer MJ; Dietary Intervention Randomized Controlled Trial (DIRECT) Group.
“Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or low-fat diet.”
N Engl J Med. 2008 Jul 17;359(3):229-41.

*Like Frank said, South Beach is based on the Mediterranean Diet

Last edited by Sara Fleming; 01-20-2009 at 04:08 AM..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Sucralose also is known to kill good bacteria in your gut (wfs): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
Old 01-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Sucralose also is known to kill good bacteria in your gut (wfs): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
I don't think it's good for you either, but at the dosage in the study, I'm not surprised: "100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg" in male rats. Just thinking, for me (at 95kg) that the 9.5-95g of splenda that I'd consume every day for 12 weeks straight would do some damage!
Sorry to hijack...
If it works, do it (about the diet now).
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I went from 240 pounds to 173 in 2006 using the South Beach Diet. But I don't eat like that anymore. I also exercised about 1 hr, 6x a week back then. It was the first "diet" I found that allowed me to eat a lot. I just could never see results with a "diet" that demanded one should eat laughable portions of food. A man has to eat!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
Chris Rebmann

Profile:

I tried the south beach diet and it worked well. I think it is like any diet that I have been on...meaning...you have to take a little bit from each diet and morph it into your own. I like to take something from different diets and use what works the best for my body. Everyone reacts to foods differently. That is why some diets work better for others.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
Chris Rebmann

Profile:

I tried the south beach diet and it worked well. I think it is like any diet that I have been on...meaning...you have to take a little bit from each diet and morph it into your own. I like to take something from different diets and use what works the best for my body. Everyone reacts to foods differently. That is why some diets work better for others.