CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
Joey Stevens

Profile:
Heating your garage gym

So what and how do you heat your garage gym? For those of us in the north, it can get pretty cold. Last weekend it was -2 when I fired up the kerosene heaters. Within an hour or so it was a balmy 50 deg.

But the draw back to 50,000 BTU salamander heaters is they stink. At least the kerosene ones. When we get done working out, we smell like jet fuel.

Not to mention the heater sucks the O2 out of the air making it difficult to keep a good metcon going.

I've seen wood heaters, propane and even electric, but not sure what's the best fit. Since it's the garage and we're only in there for an hour or so, I need something that heats up quick, doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't suck the air out of the space.

Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: Heating your garage gym

Cheap pellet stove?
I use a small electric heater which really doesn't do much... freezing cold bars and feet that get close to numb, so I hear ya.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
lisa taylor

Profile:

The heater sounds great, but you need to seperate the kerosine exhaust from the warm air output.

Acquire the following:
-sheet metal
-couple of 2x4s

1: make a base for your garage door out of the sheet metal. As wide as the opening, and high enough to accomidate a hole cut for the heater. Use the 2x4 on the ends to make 'feet' for it to sit on. Cut a circular hole towards the center and positioned so that it'll be well away from any equipment.

2: Heater outside, set close to, but not quite touching the hole cut in the sheet metal under the garage door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	3162  

Last edited by lisa taylor; 12-28-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

At my mom's, here in LA, they don't have a working heater. Now it's not cold like midwest cold, but it's been dipping under 40 degrees at night. So maybe 50 or so in the house but the other night we could see our breath.

Anyways, they have a bunch of parabolic electric heaters and these things are awesome. I'm thinking of buying a few for the garage my friends and I train in sometimes which is generally around the same temperature. We get along fine without them once we're moving, but I'm sure new trainees would enjoy the warmth. At -2, I would. I think my dad has a wood stove in Colorado which has been varying from 50 degrees to -20.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

Try and find some good combinations of shirts and pants to wear. I usually start out with a fleece jacket over a t-shirt as I warm up on the rower. By the time I start the workout the fleece is off and I starting to sweat. I wear a light weight fleece cap and some thin leather gloves. The gloves do not keep my hands warm but it makes the barbell lifts a little more comfortable. Just experiment with the clothing and see what works well for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

At 15-25 degrees, ski clothes are enough clothes; but I'm pretty sure sub zero, it's moot. You can put all the layers you want, but you're gonna be pretty damn immobile at that point.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Larry A Engle

Profile:

I like the Dayton electric garage heaters. I installed one in my 20'x20' garage gym 3 years ago and it works well for the winters here in PA. It needs its own 220V circuit, and insulated walls / ceiling will help with the electric bill.

It can heat the air quickly, but the equipment takes a lot longer to warm up if you let it get too cold, so I keep it set at around 50 degrees and turn it up to 60 before a workout.

I used a kerosene heater for a couple years prior to the Dayton, but it would get too hot, and the fumes were bad when you shut it off.

W/F/S
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG73

Last edited by Larry A Engle; 12-28-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Steven Bowser

Profile:

It was so cold here last week I had to put an extra T shirt over my T shirt to train. It was like Globo Gym Warming.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
lisa taylor

Profile:

Now, Steven. It's not nice to taunt the Yanks...

they tend to get a little crotchety when you mention sitting on your porch in tank top and shorts on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Seriously!
How'd you like some numb feet when working out?