CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:
how to figure out if a bar is dropable?

hello,
the title says everything... but i might add some addition information. i started some time ago with 30mm bars/plates and want now exchange them for a 50mm bar/plates because i want to be able to drop the loaded bar in the olympic lifts. as funds are low i look for used bars but unfortunaly most barowners know next to nothing about the bar besids the original price or what maxload it can take.
can i refere from the maxload of the bar to its ability to withstand abuse from dopping it? or is the original price more significant?

thanks in advance!

PS: the bars mentioned in the forum are not/only hard purchasable in europe - as far as i know
Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
David Gray

Profile:
Re: how to figure out if a bar is dropable?

Melissa, I think this is for you!

http://www.board.crossfit.com/member.php?u=9046 (WFS, so long as she isn't angry with you)

Torsten, my own untrained sense is that original price might matter more than rated weight because it might indicate a better-made bar. But there have been many, many threads on this board discussing how bars are made, how they are rated, how and why they fail. Use the search function and you might find your answer.

If Glenn Pendlay replies and tells you that I'm wrong, he's absolutely right, and do whatever he says.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

I don't know but I've been told, that an Oly bar with needle bearings should not be dropped because the bearings are too delicate.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:

i did get a (good?) offer for a bar (and bumper plates) with ball bearings and maxload 400 kg (about 900 lbs). the bar seems to be made of spring steel as it is flexing when being loaded with 125 kg (275 lbs) and racked. the guy said it is flexing not bending and he recommended it for oly lifts (and dropping) but he also acknowledged that he is not into the oly lifts.

david, i saw the melissas video never thought that a barbell is that easy to break when being droped. and i did search through the board but without any real success. maybe i used the wrong keywords. i tried "bar fail(ing)" "bar break(ing)" "bar drop(ing)" and so on.... maybe you can advise me some better keywords as - it is obvious - that i am not a native speaker of english.

thanks!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Check with the people who made it...if it doesn't say, there is no way of knowing.
I'd spend the money on a bar, and have it for the rest of your life. Yeah, you'd be spending $500-900 on a bar, but the safety of a bar like that is worth it. Save $1-3 a day, and pretty soon (in a year or two) you've got the best bar money can buy.
I hear ya on the budget thing, but I wouldn't take my life in my hands dropping a bar that very well could kill you when it hits the platform.
If it comes with the bumpers, chances are good it'll be up to the task. Get some more information about the bar and check it out.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Don't buy it for $25 from a 22 year old stoner advertising on CraigsList.

Save up for a good bar from a reputable manufacturer, especially if you're going to be using it often. You want it to spin right, too - not just drop without incident.

PS I am not angry with you, David.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
David Gray

Profile:

Gruss Gott Torsten, entschuldigen Sie, bitte, mein Deutsch is sehr gerrostige, oder ich auf Deutsch geschreiben woerden. Ich war in Stuttgart vor ein woche, schade.

An oly bar is made to take the dropping. After all, most olympic lifts are either failed lifts, and dropped, or successful lifts, and then dropped. The rating on the bar, 900kg, can mean many different things, but until you start lifting 200kg over your head, I think you are probably quite safe with that bar. If you can lift that much, you will be a monster.

Search for "buying barbell," or better yet, search for all posts by Glenn Pendlay. You will learn something from all of them, but many of them give great explanations of how bars work, how their strength is measured, and how to choose what is best for you. Some of the full threads will be good for you to read, too.

Cheap, meaning low price, is not good most of the time. You may think it is expensive to buy a bar from the USA, but it may actually be less expensive for you in the long run. Ask Glenn and the other dealers of Crossfit equipment. If they can't get you a good price on a bar shipped to Germany, they probably know good dealers in northern Europe who can help you.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
Torsten Hauptmann

Profile:

thanks for your replys. Nett von Dir, David, dass Du es in deutsch versuchst und vielen Dank für die von Dir vorgeschlagenen Suchbegriffe - und Deutsch ist wirklich schwer . Aber für ein paar Tage in Stuttgart machst Du Dich schon sehr gut.

I got some additional information about the bar, but not the name:

- the guy bought the bar two years ago for about 200€ (that is now 272$ but at that time about 300$)
- it is flexing strongly. the bar was racked on a small rack which was about 15-20" apart and loaded with 90 kg (200 lbs) and you could see a small arch, but when leaning with the upper boddy on the racked bar you can really! bend it but than it becomes very springy. it feels like "loading" the bar and not bending when adding pressure with the body.
i can only estimate how hard i pushed into the bar to arch it - maybe 20-40 kg? (44 lbs to 88 lbs) - on one side of course. maybe i pressed much stronger as i did not bend it over time as long as i pressed. i could only bend it that strong when pushing short (with bodyweight behind - like pushing something away) than the bar came right back. but overall the polymetric push into the bar was no effort at all actual it was more a short lean on the bar than a push. my weight is 200 lbs (i hope my descriptions are clear)

the problem is that i can not objectify my subjective perception because i never trained with good equipment so i do not know if the spring of the bar is good or too much. i am only sure that the bar is way better than the stuff i use which has no spring at all (30mm diameter 60$ standard barbell). because of my equipment i am not used to a bar with is springy. so i am just wondering how the arch of the bar would look like if it is loaded with its maxload of 400 kg (about 900 lbs).

thanks for getting that far!

Last edited by Torsten Hauptmann; 12-16-2008 at 01:53 AM..
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Brian Sharp

Profile:

Torsten,

I stock Pendlay bars, in the UK.
I have Pendlay HDs, Pendlay Mens, Pendlay Women's and Juniors and Pendlay Elites in stock.

The HD (Heavy Duty) has the same bearings as the Economy, but stronger steel.
The Pendlay Mens, Womens and Junior are designed to be dropped and all come with a lifetime guarantee.
The Elite is the best one he does, needle bearings etc. etc. Good but expensive.

http://www.strengthpowerspeed.co.uk/HTML/pendlay.htm (w/f safe)

Buy quality once, if you can afford it.

Good luck,

Brian
brian@strengthpowerspeed.co.uk