CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #41
Alex Rosch

Profile:
Re: bumper plate choices Wright Rubber or Pendlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
Is there any reason to buy a full set of bumpers if I already have a full 300 pound set of non-bumpers?

In theory one would only need to use the bumpers for the weight with the biggest radius to protect the floor, right?
You might wear out the bumpers prematurely if they are minimal relative to the weight. The idea is that they all the weight hit the floor. I think you could get away with it with the smaller plates, but exercise caution with higher iron poundage.
I think you could get away with a lighter set of bumpers if you're not going into the O-lifting 100%. eg skip the 25kg plates in the 10, 15, and 20kg set (25, 35, 45 pound set) or just go with a combo of 10kg (25lbs) and 20kg (45lbs) plates. With a set of mirco load (iron) plates in 1.25kg, 2.5kg and 5kg (that's 2.5, 5 and 10 in pounds).
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #42
Brian Lawyer

Profile:
Re: bumper plate choices Wright Rubber or Pendlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Griffin View Post
In reality you can mix and match bumpers and iron weight, which I think is the point you are trying to make. All bumpers are the same size, and I think they are all bigger around than iron weights. I think you could get away with a 1:1 ratio of bumpers to iron. I wouldn't put 1 45lb bumper on each side and then 3 45lb iron plates on each side and expect your floor to be protected, but I could be wrong. All I have is bumpers.
I also heard the 1:1 iron to rubber ratio before as well. I think this is a good rule of thumb. Remember the bar counts as iron on the aformentioned ratio. I have 235lbs of rubber bumpers and I am worried about just wearing out my 45lb bumpers just because I tend to work snatches and CJ's primarily in the 160lb - 260lb, so pretty much every set I do I have the 45lb bumpers on the bar. For weights under 200lbs I have been trying to do different combinations that don't require the 45lbs bumpers to try to reduce the abuse they take.