CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
Joey Stevens

Profile:
Re: Heating your garage gym

Some good ideas... Lisa I like the idea you drew up. I had a similar idea that involed feeding fresh air to the heater inlet so at least it would be grabbing the O2 from outside and not the garage, plus by having the heater inside, it would shut off when it's thermostat hit the desired temp.

Steve, you can taunt us northerners all you want, but come June, July and August I wouldn't want to be in your shoes... =O

I think this settles it... I need to build a new garage equipped with a modern HVAC system. I don't see any other way around it.

=)
Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
James lee

Profile:

I was trying to do some snatches today... hook grip + freezing bar = not much fun.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
Lindsay Graff

Profile:

Love this thread as I just went out and picked up a small electric heater for my garage. My garage is a cheapo metal version and leaks air like a sieve so its a challenge keeping it warm. I'm on Vancouver Island up on the west coast of Canada and while we get fairly mild winters for Canada its bone chilling and humid. Lately its been below O celcius.

For me the cold bars are not the problem but breathing the freezing air. I can't remember which wod it was a week or so ago but I was laying on the floor after and breathing so hard that my lungs started to burn so I dragged *** inside. A week later and I have a brutal cold in my chest. So ya I bought a heater. I plan on leaving it on for a hour before to warm things up but not to hot.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Lindsay- that's what I try to do. Warm the place up just a bit for maybe half an hour or an hour before I go down there.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 AM   #15
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Get a heat-gun. They are like super-duper hair dryers that crank out 600C air. 2 to 2.5 mins per side of the bar (where you're holding it, of course) and it's good to go. It's not the air temp that makes the WOD suck, it's the cold equipment. I keep my kettlebells inside the house, and have recently taken to keeping my oly bar in the house as well.
I don't even have a garage, so if it's -20C, that's that and I'm sucking it up. I have yet to use the heat-gun with keeping the stuff inside (except the PU bar, which is part of the power-rack outside).
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 AM   #16
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Never thought of that, thanks....
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
John Milgram

Profile:

I use a Vornado space heater to keep my garage between 40 and 50 degrees. I leave it running most of the time when it's under 30 outside. It has a 1500 watt setting, so maybe it costs ten cents an hour to run. I use it regardless, since the garage ceiling is poorly insulated, so it helps with keeping the room above the garage warm.

I wear leather work gloves if I'm bothered by cold equipment. Or else I use pipe-insulating foam around the bar or dumbbell - this is more for challenging my grip than warming my hands, but I get both.

If I wanted to have warm bars, plates or dumbbells, I think I'd get a parabolic reflective infrared heater and aim it at the equipment pile. I don't know how long it would take to warm things up, but IR is an efficient way to heat.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
Zach Yarges

Profile:

I set myself on fire, but seriously... My washer and dryer are in my garage so what I do when I work out is to run my dryer (when I have laundry to do which is everyday) and unplug the exhaust (the end that connects to the wall not the dryer) so that it blows all the hot moist air into the garage versus out of it. I also have a small space heater that rotates and I set that on the floor to help fight the frozen toe disease. Cold bars and rings have never really bothered me though so I don't know what to suggest there except use more chalk.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
Ken Roberts

Profile:

Joey,
I'm originally from northern Vermont, so I now the -25 degree winters and understand. Although I am currently stationed in Virginia, and though it's not cold, 25 degrees makes the metal cold enough for clients to complain. I insulated my garage gym, and use a Kerosene heater. When I bought the heater, I also picked up a kerosene treatment. The treatment allows me to smell a faint pine smell vice the jet smell you speak of. It eliminates the odor all together. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and take a look. It cost about 7-8 dollars, and I use a teaspoon each time I burn it. No, smell, nice in toasty.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
John Swanson

Profile:

Okay well I'm from MN and today it was -30. But what my cousin did and I'm in the process of doing is put a heater in. What we did was run a gas line to the garage and put a small heater mounted to the ceiling. Put a programmable thermostat in the garage and has it go on an hour before he wants to work out so his garage stays around 65, but can keep it as hot as he wants. Total cost if you know someone to do it on the side is no more that $500 This may not help but this is how I'm going to go about and do it. Seems to work work pretty slick, just as a few ceiling fans and it works great.