CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Nick Repertorio

Profile:
Where to pick up after unscheduled rest days

I have used the search function read a bunch of threads but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Sometimes we miss a WOD because our bodies just need that extra rest day, busy schedules or other things but after that day your obviously behind on the WODs so I am trying to figure out where you pick up...

-do you just stay a couple days behind on the WOD?
-just cut that day you missed?
-combine two WODs in one day?
-take 4 days on next cycle to make up for it?
-or something else?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Alex Rosch

Profile:
Re: Where to pick up after unscheduled rest days

If you're needing the extra rest, doing 4 in a row or doubling up is not the way to go. Take the extra rest if you need it.
Staying behind (after getting behind) a couple of days works too. I used to find it helped plan my week a little better knowing what was coming up, and where I'd be.
I say cut the day you missed, or do something else. For example, if you didn't have time for longer WOD, do something else that you can fit in, time wise or location wise. Like say it's a filthy fifty, and you've got to go somewhere to do the WOD. Sub the crap out of it, or find something else to do.
Not sure who said it, but bad gym days are still gym days. Nice thing about CF is that it's not about following a program to the letter. If you skipped a day that you like, say you really like 'murph', well then do that in place of another.
Don't worry about it and have fun.
If it's a busy day cutting into the WOD, crank out something you can do anywhere, like 150 burpees for time. Check out that BW list that's floating around, and I'm sure you can find something in there that can be done anywhere, and any time. Few are truly that busy that they can't fit in 10 or 20 mins of training.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

I had to miss EVA the other day but only because my right elbow was killing me when I did pull-ups and only pull-ups for some reason. Instead of taking a rest day I did:

Run 800 Meters
30 2 pood KB swings
10 Burpees

Five Rounds for time.

If I was you're situation where you had to miss a WOD, which no matter what I don't miss WOD's even when traveling, I would just start with whatever the main page posted for that day.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Dave Taylor

Profile:

If you need more rest take it. That how you really get better. For some reason your body is not letting push that hard and your really know what is best for you. Im in the Army and spend alot of time on the range and when i am out there in my gear all day i will cut down how many days i workout becuase i know that i can carry the intesity for 3 days anymore. Atleast not to the level i need to. If thats the case i just pick up and go ahead with the WOD or my programing depending on what cycle im on. Remember rest is to let you recover so you can hit it hard again. If you can do 4 in a row super hard then go for it. but trying to do that for a long time will be very hard
Old 12-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Remington Jones

Profile:

I have only been doing CF for about a month, but I was in pretty good shape before hand.
I take an extra day off quite often actually.
I do make it a point deciding I need an "extra" rest day, before I see the WOD.
I skip a day when I need it, when I am too sore or too tired. Then I just pick right back up the next day. Sometimes I go for a bike ride or swim. To stay active without impact.
You know what they say rest is more important the the workouts.

In my personal opinion the hardest part of getting fit is learning to listen to your body.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:51 PM   #6
John McBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rosch View Post
Check out that BW list that's floating around, and I'm sure you can find something in there that can be done anywhere, and any time. Few are truly that busy that they can't fit in 10 or 20 mins of training.
Alex, what BW list are you referring to? Something specific? If that's the case then I'd love to get my hands on it!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McBrien View Post
Alex, what BW list are you referring to? Something specific? If that's the case then I'd love to get my hands on it!
See the stickied thread in the 'Workout of the Day' forum.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
Lee Weiyang

Profile:

check out this thread for other bw workouts
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=21576 (wfs)