CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
John J. Rivera

Profile:
Got stuck on Squats on the third day? [SS]

Just finished my first week of Starting Strength. Yes I've been drinking GOMAD.

This week, my deadlift went from 85 to 100 and my bench press went from 65 to 70. But my squat went from 75 to 85. Today, I tried to do 95, and couldn't even do the first 5 reps. I failed on my third rep (got stuck on the bottom). I did the next 2 sets with 85 (the weight I had on the previous workout) and pulled it off (the last couple reps were hard).

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I slow down my squat progress already?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Got stuck on Squats on the third day? [SS]

If I remember from your other posts, you're seriously underweight and (possibly as a result) understrength for your size. GOMAD will help that, but not within a week. Perhaps 10 lb jumps are too ambitious at this point?

Katherine
Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
John J. Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If I remember from your other posts, you're seriously underweight and (possibly as a result) understrength for your size. GOMAD will help that, but not within a week. Perhaps 10 lb jumps are too ambitious at this point?

Katherine
Yes, that's me

Next workout I'll try to move up by 5 (to 90 lbs). We'll see how that goes.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Did you do the ~1-2 week ramp up where you're supposed to start well below your 5 RM?

I'm pretty sure you didn't. Read this wfs
http://****************.wikia.com/wi..._First_Workout

First one starts out approximately with a set of 5 where the barbell doesn't slow down or form falters. That's not going to be close to 5 RM at all. It should take at least 3-4 sessions 'til you're hitting your previous 5 RM most likely.

Did you read the book? Are you drinking the milk?

What's your height and weight?

Last edited by Steven Low : 05-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
John J. Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Did you do the ~2 week ramp up where you're supposed to start well below your 5 RM?

I'm pretty sure you didn't. Read this wfs
http://****************.wikia.com/wi..._First_Workout

First one starts out approximately with a set of 5 where the barbell doesn't slow down. That's not going to be close to 5 RM at all.

Did you read the book?
Yes I did. Rip says on your first day, you practice form with the empty bar for several sets, then add 5-10 lbs depending on the exercise, until the last rep becomes slow or the form starts to fall apart. That's your starting weight. For my squat, that was 75 lbs.

Did you read the book?
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. Rivera View Post
Yes I did. Rip says on your first day, you practice form with the empty bar for several sets, then add 5-10 lbs depending on the exercise, until the last rep becomes slow or the form starts to fall apart. That's your starting weight. For my squat, that was 75 lbs.

Did you read the book?
If you're getting stuck on the third workout there's only two possible problems

1. you started with a weight too high (common problem HENCE why I was trying to determine this) or

2. Technical faults with your lifts.

Since it's not 1 then it's 2. Especially if you are drinking the milk.

There's no reason why you should be failing the FIRST set after a 10 lbs jump at novice weights.

Post up vids of your squat in the digital coaching section.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
until the last rep becomes slow or the form starts to fall apart. That's your starting weight.
Right. But this is sometimes hard to tell, particularly if you are solo--it's awfully tempting to go a little further (the phrase in the book that I saw is "when form begins to alter", although I personally would go with "when any rep begins to slow"). It's far better to start too light and take 2-3 workouts to "catch up" than it is to start too heavy, stall out, and take several days falling behind.

Steven, as usual, is right, whether or not you want to agree with him. Either your starting weight is too high or your technique is faulty (or alternately you aren't eating enough or sleeping enough, but it sounds like you are). I would recommend digital coaching as Steven mentioned to check out the technique, and frankly I would suggest restarting, maybe with the empty bar as your first workout load (and I'm not kidding on that). It should take a few weeks to get stuck, not the third workout--and while starting too heavy and getting stuck is bad, you really lose almost nothing by starting too light.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Buy the Book and or DVD, OR consider going to a local CF affiliate for coaching on these lifts. Since you have alot of room for progress, I would assume you'll be doing the program for at least 3 months and I would suggest longer, more in the 6-9 month range, before you change up.

Money spent learning these lifts will be well worth the costs.

BTW, I have the DVD sitting on my desk, try to watch parts of it each week for review. Good Stuff.

PS. Post your next question on SS to the man himself over on his forum at Strength Mill,, or just review the boards as your question has been asked and answered numerous times.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

1. Not making a set is not the same thing as getting stuck on the program. Try 95 again next workout. If you can't make it, try it again the next workout. If you can't make it again, then you are stuck and can think about a reset. Maybe you just had a bad day. It happens. Don't worry too much about these, they just help you appreciate the good days more.
2. It could be a warm up issue . Either you weren't warmed up or you spent too long warming up. Try something different next time and see how it goes.
3. Try making smaller jumps in weight. 5lbs for now. With this small a jump in squat you are going to need fractional plates. Buy them now if your gym doesn't have them, so you don't keep getting stuck on the press. Trust me, the press can be really hard to improve.
4. Make sure you are really toughing it out and not quitting on a lift you can make. Squatting can be hard. Don't quit on a lift you can make.
5. Get some coaching, digital or live.

Edit: I see from you previous posts you have 1.25# plates. Good. I also see where you can deadlift over 150 and squat 110. Good. You aren't stuck. I'm sure your form can be improved, because everyone's can, but just keep trucking with the program with smaller jumps and don't worry so much.

Last edited by Kevin Thomas : 05-10-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Rip says to set your starting weight by "when the barbell begins to slow". For me, that was so far below my 1rm that I thought I started way too light. It took me at least two weeks before I was panting during the 5 rep sets.
Are you using the warmup calculator to figure out your warmup sets and weights?