CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Sean Andrews

Profile:
How can this be??CF Games scoring

How can an athlete go through to the games when failing to complete a prescribed workout when the next athlete in points finished them all. Even though behind on overall points finishing all the required workouts should count for something should it not??
Old 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: How can this be??CF Games scoring

You want to share an example of this occurring?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Sean Andrews

Profile:

Western Canada regionals. Female athletes, 2nd place finisher couldn't finish the "Amanda" wod within the time cap. Still went through.

Last edited by Sean Andrews : 05-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Lucas King

Profile:

She still got 7th/14. And that was the standard set by HQ so its legit. Everyone (Men dont remember for women) but Rich Froning DNFd part 1 of the final WOD at the games last year, and every man DNFd the second part. Thats how crossfit is.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I'm sure overall scoring method was briefed somewhere in there, including penalties for DNFs and how DNFs would be factored into the overall rankings. From what I can tell the overall ranking is just a sum of the placings on workouts 1 through 6.

For the Amanda workout:
If an athlete cannot finish in the time cap, their result is the time cap plus a one second penalty for each rep not completed.
It doesn't say someone is eliminated from overall contention for a DNF, which means they wanted a way to rank the DNFs without eliminating them from the overall rankings. On the Canada West recap page it says this:
Connors, who was easily in second place heading into this final day, struggled on the muscle ups throughout the event and did not complete the workout. Her time of 15:19 gave her seven points.

Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

I don't think he's saying that it there wasn't a precedent or that it was a surprise, just that he thinks it's unfair. He sort of has a point but there will always be drawbacks with any scoring system. They could, for example, give people with a DNF last place plus reps missed in points. This would make it nearly impossible to win without completing all the WODs and if everyone can't complete the WOD then they will be ranked accordingly. Of course if only a handful complete a WOD then they could win the whole thing while doing poorly on every other WOD. I think that this would be much worse.

My big complaint with the scoring system has to do with cutting people out of the competition. This weights the early workouts much more heavily than the last workouts. I don't know that there is a fair system that could account for this. My belief is that the winner should come out on top regardless of the order of the workouts. In the Canada West Regional, Steve Howell dominated today with 2 1st place finishes and it barely moved him in the standings because of a 20th on the first day. If the thruster ladder was today he'd be going to the games. Jeremy Meredith barely squeaked through after struggling today beating out 3rd place by 1 point. Add in the rest of the field to that WOD and there might have been a couple more people between him and Tyson Takasaki and Tyson could be representing.

My big complaint as a spectator is that it can make the last day of competition incredibly boring since there is very little room for movement especially if the cuts are big.

Unfortunately there is no perfect scoring system, at least that I've seen, and no matter which one is used it will often result in some unfair results.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Sean Andrews

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
I don't think he's saying that it there wasn't a precedent or that it was a surprise, just that he thinks it's unfair.
This is what I meant. I know the rules were layed out, awarding failure in crossfit goes against the very principles of this sport. "Fittest human on earth" is who wins the games. How can the "Fittest" be someone who can't complete something (6 wods) that someone else can? It's just my opinion don't wanna start a melee here.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Andrews View Post
This is what I meant. I know the rules were layed out, awarding failure in crossfit goes against the very principles of this sport. "Fittest human on earth" is who wins the games. How can the "Fittest" be someone who can't complete something (6 wods) that someone else can? It's just my opinion don't wanna start a melee here.
So if only one person completes every workout but does poorly in all the others they should win? They would have to get really generous with the time caps if they want to start weighting the WODs that way and that just isn't practical IMO.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Oh ok, gotcha. But I think Geoff brings up a good point which probably has something to do with why it's set up the way it is.

Suppose someone finished 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, and DNF on the 6 workouts...should that DNF necessarily disqualify them from overall contention? Should that person finish behind someone who finished 35th in all 6 events? I would say the first person proved to be fitter than the one with six 35th placings, and the way things are scored now reduces the chances of a single fluke bad finish knocking out someone who clearly deserves to win or place highly.

I do agree that cutting people after day 1 or day 2 is a bad idea since it weights the earlier workouts much more heavily and makes it very hard to come from behind.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Sean Andrews

Profile:

I see your points, as unrealistic as 1,1,1,1,1 dnf is I'll respect the point behind it. Hopefully for the 2nd place finisher they don't have muscle ups at the games.(yeah right) 23/42 reps on that wod.

Last edited by Sean Andrews : 05-29-2011 at 09:46 PM.