CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: DC's workout journal

Havent posted on here (this thread), cuz i've just felt a lil down bout training since injury, got a professional opinion/recommendation from an ortho who specializes in pec tears, and he says i need surgery, and that it wont be the easiest of cases.

so not doing any chest stuff, PR'ed on shoulder presses today tho, 195x3, and doc has me doing a lot of back work, pulling scapula back and etc...trying to fix my posture and some flexibility stuff, i'm finally going to be doing physio soon, but i will be trying to push for surgery (not totally up to me) so that i can get started on my road to recovery!

i'm actually trying out WS4B (Westside for Skinny bastards...im not skinny but this is more of an athletically minded one and less Powerlifting) at the moment, except instead of bench variations, im doing OHP.
Today's work out was:

Seated mil presses (doc said i can do these but i have to pinch shoulders back HARD whole time)
barx5, 95x5,115x3, 135x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3, 195x3

Would have loved to do CG bench or something but not allowed, so I did pressdowns (straight back, no leaning forward, shoulders pinched back, slightly wider then shoulder width grip)
3 sets of 140x16

then it was the horizontal pull superset:
T-bar rows (not chest supported, and not just a bar on the floor) 3 plates x8
Face pulls 70lbsx10
3 sets of each.

finished off with the elbow flexor work:
alternating standing db curls (shoulders pinched back) 50's x 10
Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Well it's been a long time, and my ordeal is still not nearly done.

I finally got surgery on my torn pec, approx 6wks ago. Surgeon said while out and on the table he could get my range of motion back even better then originally after his procedure, there was a lot of scar tissue when they did open me up. I'd adhering to the surgeon and physio protocols. Sadly though my physio has never seen a pec tear, so they don't know exactly to well what to do with me.

So far i'm only working on range of motion, I can now get my hand over my head in front of me, and above parallel out to the side, and last time we measured external rotation of 54 degrees.

I am very pleased with how things are going, unfortunately because I got small problem fixed in my lower limb shortly before this surgery I have not been able to train for quite some time.

I am looking forward to getting back in the saddle!!

Any tips on staying in shape or diet manipulation would be awesome in the meantime....i've already lost 15lbs...and guessing most of it is muscle...lots of people are commenting on me looking thin/small lately
Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
Adam Carlson

Profile:

How's your recovery going?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Not bad at all.

i'm about 6months post pec tear surgery.

By the time I started training again I was down to 190 from 215. My shoulder feels 1000x better, more mobility and flexibility. My weight is back up to 213, and I will be gaining back the weight I lost before that (220-230), but less BF, i'm doing a lot more cardio and circuit training as well as strength training.

I'm not lifting any monster weights yet, keeping everything high reps also which I suck at! 10-15 for upper body, 15-20 for lower.

Haven't touched flat barbell bench press yet, but have been doing dumbbells, got up to doing 4sets of 12-15 with 65's, I find my knee is probably what's giving me the most trouble in terms of relearning form, and having to work through more aches n pains, which I think are a result of the physio not being as good and/or aggressive for my knee as it was for my shoulder.

Only crappy part so far, is my right arm (side where I got operated for my pec) goes numb/pins and needles when I do high rep squats.

Like I said my weights aren't up where they were YET, but I know to be patient and just keep working at it, its not a sprint!

couples months back I was actually cleared by both my surgeons, they didn't need to see me anymore unless I had some kind of set back.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Good to hear. I hope that your recovery continues to go well! It sounds like you're being smart about your recovery, and that's probably the fastest way to permanent recovery without re-injuring yourself.

Keep it up! If there are any breakthroughs, let me know, I'd be interested to hear!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

The one thing I could really use help with is running lol, i'm trying to shave time off my km time, bring it down to 4:30 pretty much a minute to take off, ugh!

i've got 2 weeks of mandated physiotherapist led PT

Where they are handling the running programming.