CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
From: http://www.crossfit.com/journal/2007...t_by_greg.html

Quote:
Posted by Pierre Auge on April 11, 2007 05:36 PM

As always you state your case well Coach, my question is do you see any application for consistency within this varied program?

I personally make a disctinction between what training is and what practice is, please do correct me where I may err Coach as this relates to this program in particular.

Training in our circles can be defined as such:
Functional - Varied - Intense

Practice I argue is defined as:
Specific - Consistent - Low Intensity

Would you agree with that?

Pierre,
I don't think that there's any question that practice (conistency) is critical to skill development and the CrossFit code. Unfortunately, after someone has learned to squat, deadlift, and push-press, I don't find that the Journals to-date provide us with any guidance in integrating training and practice (aside from certain challenges such as progressing to a 3:00 L-sit and fingertip handstand pushups, pointing us to the Drills and Skills site for stuff to work on, etc.). All this is great, but I'd like, as I think you would as well, some empirical information on how we best integrate training and practice to achieve optimum gpp along with rapid skill development.

My best guess is that we look to the gymnastics community for skill development advice.

Does anyone have anything to contribute in that way? How have you integrated training and practice? How many skills do you work on, how do you choose them, and what are your methods of practice? Is anyone using rest days for skill development?

Searching the archives it looks like Barry Cooper was exploring this last year, but it didn't really go anywhere.

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=rate&topic=21&pa ge=27082&post=106438

I think this also shares some ground with the Black Box ME stuff.

Anyway, I should probably practice getting to bed on time!

Brendan
Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Martin Schap

Profile:
This is an interesting concept that I only just recently began thinking about. I have been working lately on bringing down my time in the 1.5 mile and 300 meter runs and increasing vertical jump. I find the training for these events can be complementary, as they all can be helped by activities that force your legs/hips to generate more force against the ground. What I do to add in the extra work is add work on the day ones of the 3 day cycle and keep the extra work fairly light. For instance, do 3x560 meter runs (one lap around my block)several hours after completing the WOD, or doing a few sets of five 30 inch box jumps. I find that this leaves me fresh while still getting the extra work in. I have also been thinking of adding 2x5 C&J PTP style maybe twice a week. In addition, I do a lot of different things in my warmups to add more things that I want to work on but feel I don't have time for. I still do the CFWU sometimes, but other times I just use it as a general template and do various other things I need extra work on.

(Message edited by schapm on June 12, 2007)
Old 06-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I suspect that a large portion of all Crossfitters have an area of fitness or a sport that they devote consistent practice to. Eugene Allen is a marathoner, I do the Olympic lifts, Roger Harrell is a gymnast, Jeff Martin teaches Krav Maga, Ken Urakawa is a soccer player, Scott Hagnas does his bicycle tricks, etc. All Crossfitters should have one particular area or sport that they spend some period of time on to develop virtuosity. Additionally, they should set aside a block of time for an area of fitness outside of their comfort zone. Enter a 5k race once a year, a weightlifting competition, a powerlifting competition, an adventure race, join the local masters swim team for a few months, learn to walk on your hands.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Using the above definitions of "training" and "practice" I spend the bulk of my time in "practice". A gymnastics session can easily burn 3 hours or more working skill development. Countless hours are spent refining technique, drilling body positions, getting over the fear of things. Much of this is not "low intensity though". There's just allowed sufficient rest between turns to keep going at it. As far as how to break down your time it really depends on how much time you have to devote and what your goals are. If you only have a couple of hrs/week then most of your time will be in training just to maintain fitness. Some of that training will gradually improve skill level as well, but more time focused on pure technique would develop skill faster, but with a loss of overall fitness. The only way to get both involves a lot of time (depending on the sport of course)
Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I find that training with purpose, ie for a competition or a specific goal makes a huge difference. Training because you love training is fine, and training for fitness is good to do... but having something that one is training for helps. I would argue that this is part of why high level athletes are at such a different level of fitness than the guy who just squeezes it into life. There is a greater sense of purpose [of course having most of your day for training helps *grin*]...