CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Bruce Duco

Profile:
Any suggestions for a Zone friendly protein powder?

I did a search on "protein powder" and a hundred threads pulled up. For a zone breakfast, I'm planning on doing some oatmeal for carbs, nuts for fat, and protein powder. any suggestions?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Any suggestions for a Zone friendly protein powder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
I did a search on "protein powder" and a hundred threads pulled up.
Uh, ya, that then would provide you the opportunity to review, digest and understand what's been previously posted hundreds of times, instead, you just re-post.

Do some home work??? Past threads are great. Do you know that after a certain time frame, posts are archived?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Uh, ya, that then would provide you the opportunity to review, digest and understand what's been previously posted hundreds of times, instead, you just re-post.

Do some home work??? Past threads are great. Do you know that after a certain time frame, posts are archived?
Really, a simple "EAS is good" would have sufficed, but thanks for taking time out of your day to give me internet message board lessons.

When I did a search of "protein powders" I got every thread that contained the word "protein" or "powder." And as much as a would enjoy scrolling through thousands of posts to find the one sentence I was looking for, I figured asking a straight forward question would be a lot easier.

But hey, thanks for being so obtuse about a simple one word answer... there is nothing more satisfying than pointing out the short comings of others.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
John Alston

Profile:

I suggest you eat meat or eggs or milk or all of them before worrying about powder.
Then read the old posts. I like Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Chocolate but I don't give two ****s about the zone.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
Ian Haya

Profile:

EAS is good

Seriously though, I saw a review that put EAS and ON as the cheapest on a cost/gram of protein basis. The best protein powder is one that is cheap, doesn't have a lot of crap added to it, and tastes alright.

Personally, I prefer ham and eggs or a veggie omelette for breakfast though. I've recently cut down on my protein powder consumption and feel much better. It's now been relegated to those rare instances when I forget about grocery shopping and don't have any meat ready to cook or milk to drink and I'm starving.

Another suggestion would be to check out a health food store. They might have pure whey isolate or whey protein concentrate (try and get 80% or higher, otherwise it's just milk) in bulk, which is better because then you won't have the crap artificial sweeteners or anything added. Since it's unflavoured, you can add anything you want to it without worrying about mixing funny flavour combinations.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:

And if you don't want to eat whole eggs for whatever reason, eat the whites only. Top notch,, cheap protein.

My usual breakfast (4 blocks)

Omelette -3 egg whites, 1 link chicken sausage (trader Joe's), 1 oz low fat feta. A dollop of Pace Picante sauce

1 slice Ezekiel sprouted toast ( 1 block carb) with tsp. of EVOO drizzled on it.

The other 3 carb blocks of whatever fruit or veggies we have around. If in a hurry, a 1/4 cup of home made refried beans.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McWilliams View Post
And if you don't want to eat whole eggs for whatever reason, eat the whites only. .
Nope. Man up and eat the yolk.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Thanks for your answers guys. Unfortunately I usually do not have time in the mornings to cook a big breakfast. I have a 3 week old daughter now, who has completely changed my schedule. Now, I wake up at 5am to workout, come home, feed the baby, change the baby, scarf down whatever is available, and run out the door to go to work.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
Thanks for your answers guys. Unfortunately I usually do not have time in the mornings to cook a big breakfast. I have a 3 week old daughter now, who has completely changed my schedule. Now, I wake up at 5am to workout, come home, feed the baby, change the baby, scarf down whatever is available, and run out the door to go to work.
Have hard boiled eggs prepared at all times!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

I'm an EAS guy myself as well. No crap in there, and it makes a mean applesauce (macadamia nuts, apples, vanilla protein powder + cinnamon). Seriously, it is amazing!

Don't let Jay get you down. He's full of information and a really cool dude. He's just rather direct about it, which I am sometimes as well.

Last edited by George Mounce; 03-28-2008 at 03:25 PM..