CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I try to eat a fairly healthy diet and I am wondering if there are any significant advantages to switching from my current diet to a real exact measured out zone type diet.

Right now I generally eat a bowl of grapenuts for breakfast with frozen blue-berries or razberries and vanilla soy milk. For lunch I have an apple, a bottle fo water and a sandwhich made with: whole-grain bread, meat of some sort, two slices of cheese, and mustard. I have a bannana for snack. I drink a protein shake after evening work-outs. Dinner gets a lot more varience, usually some sort of meat dish with some frozen vegies and a diet coke, sometimes fast food or eat out. When I am hungry I eat more, if I'm not that hungry I eat less.

I consider this to be fairly healthy, it's not perfect but it's pretty good. So my question is would I see any noticable differences if I went all-out on getting myself the perfect diet? It would take quite a bit of effort to make that step and I'm not sure if it's really worth it. I don't want to go through the trouble unless I think I am going to see a noticable difference.

I am 22 years old, 5'6" 160# with about 14% body fat, trying to get that down to around 7%. I have been making decent progress towards my goal, but still a bit slow. I want to break 10% by the end of the year. I also don't want to get any lighter, I am trying to put on lean muscle mass.

One last quick question. Is there anything wrong with soy? Every now and then I see someone post something about not eating soy and I'm not sure if it's because they don't like it or because there is something wrong with it. I like the taste of vanilla soymilk over regular milk, but I will use whichever is healthier for me.

Thank you very much for any insight I can get.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Andrew,

Most here would suggest the Zone, and I agree. There's no doubt in my mind that you will see (body comp) and feel (performance) a difference by going "all out" in regard to your diet. All the while you will be greatly improving your health, well-being, and quality of life. Change is never easy, but difficulty will ease into habit and your newfound regimen will quickly become second nature. Best of luck.

*The archives contain a wealth of info pertaining to the Zone*

-Jonathon
Old 10-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Andrew, I don't mean to scare ya, and I don't know how true this all is but:
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

As far as putting milk on your grapenuts, try Hoods lowfat milk. I like it. I don't eat cereal anymore, but I use it for my protein shakes.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
The people against soy are usually against pasteurized milk as well..
Old 10-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Andrew, the only way your gonna know what the difference will be for your body is to do it for two weeks and keep a short journel of your reactions - both exercise and mood. It takes about two weeks on any diet to really notice the changes. If you then go off the diet and those changes go away and then go back on the diet and they come back, you can be pretty sure the results you are getting are due to the changes in diet.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Andrew Gray

Profile:
Well, I guess I will give the strict diet thing a try for a little bit and see how it works out. I am still a bit skeptical that I will see significant differences, but as Beth said, there is only one way to really find out.

Also, what is wrong with pasturized milk? While I do want a good diet that will help me reach my fitness goals, my top priority is to have a diet that isn't going to give me cancer or a disease or some strange condition that I've never heard of.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
David Werner

Profile:
Andrew

I think you could get the "right" numbers without this change, but a lot more vegetables would be a great idea.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 10-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Dave is right. Your actually very close right now. I would also add more protien to your breakfast and some protien and fat at your snack (maybe some almonds and a cube of tofu or slice of cheese or a bit of sandwich meat). Soy milk is very high in carbs. So you could substitute regular milk for soy milk or have some other protien. As far as what is wrong with pasturized milk? You could probably find something wrong with everything we eat in some way or another. I can't eat too much milk or I get really congested. But I have a number of food difficulties already. Making diet changes can be tricky to do. Especially if you are skeptical, just do one change at a time so you can really track down if that change made a difference. If you take out all soy and all milk and zone balance everything and have good results, you won't know if it was one, two or all three of the changes. Plus, in my experience, making changes always lasts longer if I do them gradually.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Beth's right about the milk. If it works for you, it's OK. Personally, I'd rather chew broken glass than drink soy or rice milk. Unfortunately, my son is allergic to cow's milk and soy, so he drinks rice milk (chocolate, of course!).
As for your breakfast, I'd cut the Grapenuts! Take a look at the food label. Tons of sugar!! Top ingredient, if I'm not mistaken, is high fructose corn syrup. That crap is poison!! Worse than plain old sugar any day of the week.
Try some slow cooked oatmeal with some peanut butter. Like Beth said, get some protein in your breakfast as well. You'll be surprised at how long it lasts you in the morning!
Also, if you're looking to add lbm, step up your monounsaturated fats. Add foods like avocado, fish (and fish oil), nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:50 AM   #10
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I am going to try and get some more protein into my breakfast right away and get some assorted types of nuts to snack on as well. I think I will switch back to regular milk also. I have been trying to get more veggies into my diet for a while now but I am having trouble finding something that fits my needs. One of my problems is that I don't shop very often so perishable foods are a pain (that was actually the main reason I switched to soy milk) plus I just don't like vegetables very much. Anyone know of any secret tasty vegetables I don't know about?

I will try to get around to reading up on the Zone, but recently I have been very busy so it's going to have to wait a little bit.

To clarify when I said I was a bit skeptical, I wasn't trying to say that the Zone isn't good, I'm just not sure if there is much room for improvement for me. As is I feel good, I have lots of energy, I can't even remember the last time I had any sort of digestive problems. I have no problems with my diet right now, however, if I can make my body perform better then I want to give it a try.

Quick note on the Grape nuts, I have always been under the impression they are one of the healthiest cold cereals out there. Here is a list of their ingredients.

Ingredients: WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SALT, DRIED YEAST. VITAMINS & MINERALS: REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, VITAMIN B6, ZINC OXIDE (SOURCE OF ZINC), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

That seems pretty good to me.

Thank you for all your help everyone, it's great to have a resource like this. I really appreciate all of your time and expertise you have given me.