CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-13-2007, 06:06 AM   #1
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
For the last 4 months I have been having trouble sleeping. My nose clogs up, I snore, wake up with a dry throat, feel unrested. I have no idea what's going on and of course blow of a doctors visit. Three days ago my left upper teath begin to ache...I mean really hurt. Thinking I have a dental problem, I go to the dentist. The dentist says: "No problems with the teeth, have you been having sinus problems, since roots for the teeth grow near the sinus, a sinus infection could cause pain it the teeth." I hop on the web, and have every symptom! I guess sometimes you need to get smacked in the head. What next? Obviously I need to hit the Docs, but tips on treatment?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Like a computer technician who has to ask first if the computer is plugged in...I have to ask, do you still eat Dairy?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Get a humidifier -- they work wonders. Your sinus issue could be from irritation due to dry air (caused by heaters in the winter and AC in the summer). Also stay hydrated but you can't beat a humidifier. And I would recommend the Venta (Link is safe: http://www.venta-airwasher.com/ ); they are more expensive up front but worth every penny. Any other humidifier will cost you more in the end. Plus this one is actually quiet.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Geez Larry you'd think after all these years of Crossfit you would be a bit tougher :-)

I like the humidifier idea but I've got an old folk remedy that works well in acute situations (and it's super cheap). Get a saucepan and fill it with about 1 qt of water. Put in about 5-6 tablespoons of vinegar and heat it up, almost to a boil. You want a distinct vinegar smell but not overwhelming. Put the pan on a hot plate and hover your face over the steam while covering your head and the pan with a bath towel. Breathe deeply through your nose w/o burning your nasal passages for as long as you can (10 min is a pretty long treatment). Come back an hour or two later and reheat and repeat. Try multiple sessions per day for a couple of days.

I learned about this about 5 years ago when I had such a horrible sinus infection that my cheeks were puffy and had a green tinge to them. Every step I took sent shockwaves of pain through my cheeks and teeth. I was about to go get antibiotics when someone told me to try this. I probably did about 3-5 sessions per day for 2-3 days. By the 3rd or 4th treatment huge chunks of nastiness were coming out of my head and it felt about 5 lbs lighter. I never had to go to the doctor.

On a side note, I have a current 20 year streak of not taking antibiotics. This was by far the closest call but the vinegar vapor worked like a charm. YMMV.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
William has good advice. I forgot about this but have known of people using it to good affect.

As far as anti-biotics; worse than milk. Don't take them unless they will save your life. There are natural antibiotics that work just as well but don't kill the good bacteria in your body.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Apple Cider Vinegar works the best....the raw unfiltered with the mother kind....nature's antibiotic
Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Adam Noble

Profile:
Four months is a long time, and now the pain is hurting your teeth... go to a doctor, specifically an ENT. It is probably just a sinus infection, but you never know. I went in for a runny nose and constant congestion, and it turned out I had an incredibly rare form of cancer in my sinus. I lucked out only in that I caught it early.
Rinsing out the sinuses with a squeeze bottle and some saline can help too (I have to do this regularly, but I have no sinuses on the right side any more), just make sure that all the water drains out.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Any kind of infection is a bad sign that your internal environment is leaning more towards letting bacteria grow...vs killing off. As the old saying goes....nothing bad can grow on a healthy body...but then again, it's tough to really find anyone nowadays with a 100% healthy environment internally.

Snort the apple cider vinegar...cry for an hour...and after that...it should burn up everything.....ok maybe not a good idea.

On top of everything else...play the healthy gut game....cut out all sugar....cut out grains and dairy...load up on probiotics and a few shots of ACV in water a day wont hurt either. (1 tablespoon of ACV to 8-12oz of water...you never take it straight)

(Message edited by mike_od on February 13, 2007)
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
As someone who has had chronic sinus infections since he was about 6-7 years old, not to mention a bout of pneumonia when I went through Parris Island, I know a few things.

#1 Go to the f***ing doctor. If it's bacterial, which seems likely given how long you have had it, it will only get worse if you ignore. This SITFU attitude lead to me coughing for an 1.5 hours and waking up in a pool of mucus that was entirely red from my own blood.

#2 Antibiotics are your friends. There are reasons why we trust western medicine, mainly because it works.

#3 If you aren't going to trust medicine, there are some things that help. Vitamin C, Noni juice (tastes like sewage, but works), Colostrum, and for your sinuses, salt water (gargle and spray up your nose) or if you really want to clear out your sinuses, try tear gas.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Thanks guys, I'm throwing everything at it. Western, Eastern, Folk, don't care as long as it works. Mike, I do use dairy...William, I'll be under the hood tonight. Good point on the humidifier. Samuel, great advise. Adam, thanks for scaring the heck out of me, but good advise! I usually only go to a docs when I feel something is really really wrong, I know it's not a great attitude but hard to overcome. I'm sure there is a lesson there somewhere.