CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
DB limits

Hey guys and gals,

I'm in a situation where for the moment, I'm doing WODs in my company's on-site gym. It's a nice, simple place, although lacking in some equipment that is common with CF'ing. One thing they don't have is any barbell equipment. They had a collection of dumbbells that ranged from 5 lbs to 40 lbs (metal grips, rubber ends), but they ditched those for sets of those adjustable BowFlex ones that go to 52.5 lbs if you set the dials right.

My issue is the weight limit of 52.5 lbs. I know that as I continue to progress, doing subbed workouts using DB's will start to get easier as time goes on.

So, outside of bringing in my own equipment (company frowns on that - something about liability issues, they freaked when I asked about installing a pull-up bar), what else could I do?

Thanks,

-Jon

P.S. The gym itself would look really cool as a CF gym. My company's building was an old brick icehouse in the early 1900's and was retrofitted to current building code standards. The gym itself has a basketball court with hardwood floors and a very tall ceiling that goes to the third floor (perfect for rope climbs). On the same level as the basketball court, there are two treadmills and three elliptical machines (I know, I know, but I mention this simply for the amount of space.) The mezzanine level has the Concept-2 Rowing Machine, the adjustable DB's sets (3), and some benches and mirrors on the walls to help you watch your form.

Last edited by Jonathan Yoon; 02-09-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Extra comment to add
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Greg Privitera

Profile:
Re: DB limits

Sandbag stuff? Check my affiliate's blog, its linked in my signature. We do only sandbag stuff, and a 1 day mainpage "delay". We create workouts that fall on rest days.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Privitera View Post
Sandbag stuff? Check my affiliate's blog, its linked in my signature. We do only sandbag stuff, and a 1 day mainpage "delay". We create workouts that fall on rest days.
Dude, I never thought about that. There's a Home Depot about a half-mile from my office. I think I might be able to setup something when I need to amp up the weight.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Sam Ser

Profile:

first of all, sounds like a very cool space for an office gym! you're lucky.

secondly, how big and strong are you? 50 pound dumbbells may not be like squatting 400 pounds, but they aren't insignificant. have you seen the video of pat barber and boz doing hang squat cleans with 50 pound dumbbells (and slapping push-ups)? that workout is freaking brutal.

yes, a barbell would be awesome. but look on the bright side: sprints, rowing and dumbbell moves can still be very effective.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Greg - Nice thing about working next to a Home Depot AND an Army/Navy Surplus store....I just bought my first 50 lbs bag of playsand and a canvas duffel that I think I can fill to 100-125 lbs of sand without it being overstuffed (I understand that there should be some give in the bag so it doesn't bust out of the sides if you toss or drop it). I know I'll have to get more sand though and probably a couple more canvas bags since the duffel is pretty long and from what I've seen with your affiliate blog, some of the workouts are better if the canvas bag is a bit more round and less long.

Sam - My luck is running out. My company is moving me up to their other office another 20+ miles away from the main HQ, so no dedicated company gym to do workouts in.

However, my new office digs will be just two miles away from the Lynnwood CrossFit affiliate, so I guess I could just bug the hell out of those guys.

I'm not strong like Boz and Pat Barber (lord knows I wish! - I saw the video you mentioned, totally sick!).
Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post

However, my new office digs will be just two miles away from the Lynnwood CrossFit affiliate, so I guess I could just bug the hell out of those guys.
I assume you're talking about Local'sGym - a couple of their regulars are on this site and I hear nothing but great things about the place. Congrats! I work nearby in Bothell but haven't hit it up yet myself.