CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
Hana Johnson

Profile:  
I am probably as new to crossfit as you can be!

Hey, I'm new to Crossfit. I haven't even done my first work out! I have read a little bit here and noticed the women don't post too much here...hang out more in the nutrition?? I don't know, may be you guys can give me a heads up on where to start.

A little about me! I have mostly stuck to my own work out routine. I prefer to do as much as I can at home and outdoors. I had a membership to World's Gym where I worked on a few of the machines focusing mostly on my back, the back of my arms (so they don't get fat!) and on my thighs (gotta keep my butt lookin' good!). I love to run. I run at least 3 miles a day. Prefer to run outdoors...get kinda tired of looking at the same thing when running on a treadmill.

I heard about Crossfit from my friends husband and just really wanted to check it out and see if it was for me. I really want to get physical and get tough!!

When I watched G.I. Jane I thought to myself....I want to be tough like her!!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: I am probably as new to crossfit as you can be!

Use the search function and find the 'Where's the girl power?' Thread.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

better yet. look one post below your first post..
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
David Miller

Profile:

Hana,
Welcome! ....Look around, read up, take Jason's advice on the "Where's the Girl Power?" thread.....lots of good stuff for you in there.....CrossFit is definitely for you if you want it to be......that's one of the great things about it.... with it's scalability, it's "for" everyone! Have fun and work hard! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Fat distribution, according to most of what I've read, is more a factor of factors you can't control, like heredity, than what you exercise. And from what I've read on here and in other places, body composition is largely based on nutrition, as opposed to the level of physical activity. Sure, you can be in great shape and be able to throw some heavy weights around, but if the nutrition isn't dialed in, body composition can suffer.

I'm guessing that you will find CF a very efficient way to stay in great shape, since it uses compound movements in order to achieve its goals. No need to focus on this little muscle or that when your goal is to achieve overall functional fitness. It's also a no-brainer, since the workout plan is right there for you to follow, and is completely out there for you to scale. Make sure you are following form properly, so check out the video demos to make sure you're loading your body in all the right places.

Women certainly post quite often on this forum. Sure, it's pretty guy-heavy, but such is life. The "girl power" thread is a lot of fun and certainly has some very supportive women in it. Many of us post our workout logs. So don't feel like you're alone!

Have fun and let us know how you like it!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Hana Johnson

Profile:  

Thanks guys!! I have been reading the girl power thread and there is a lot there. There is a lot all over this site. I watched quite a bit of the videos that are posted and I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the form is bad in the videos. That concerns me because those are the videos that everybody watches to reference form...eek!!

I'm not talking **** though, just showing concern. I still want to look into Crossfit to see if it's for me. Some of the threads I read, people seemed to attack REALLY FAST...so don't attack me please! ^^

I like smart fitness...when people are TRULY badass and don't get hurt doing it. I don't think it's smart to push yourself so hard that you spew all over yourself. You can get dehydrated. It's bad for you. I mean, it may happen sometimes but it shouldn't be something to work towards and be proud of.

I'm not trying to dissect here just kind of wondering peoples thoughts. Please no mean or attacking responses.

I genuinely want this program to work for me....I just like to be thorough when starting a program.....and one as intense and physically demanding as this one.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

I guess for the videos you've been looking on Youtube. There is good stuff and bad stuff out there. Just because the video has the CF tag on it, that doesn't mean that the person is providing the best instruction. I'm talking about the videos that are part of the CF website. Those for the most part have fairly good form instruction and progressions for doing some of the more complicated and difficult movements, like MUs. If you're saying that most of the official CF videos on the main site have poor form, perhaps you are unfamiliar with compound movements and such. It's very different from what you're used to in working out on machines and isolating muscles. Just because the move is quick and explosive doesn't mean that it's a bad thing or cheating. If you think about oly lifts, there is no way I could just backhand curl 73 lbs to my shoulders, but I can certainly clean it up there. That's why man was created with core muscles. I'm never going to do curls in my line of work, but I certainly have to move lots of tools and other kinds of equipment around.

As for the attacking, this is a very informative forum. I participate in a few forums, and I have to say that this is just about the most supportive and informative forum I have seen. Don't think of it as attacking. When someone suggests improvement, they aren't saying "You're WRONG!!!" They're simply either providing constructive criticism, engaging in debate, or otherwise trying to increase the knowledge base on this forum. Just because someone brings up a different point of view doesn't mean they're attacking anything. It's the only way we as humans learn. Don't take any of it personally. It's only the interwebz anyway! If you come with questions, you will get a variety of answers. It's incumbent on you to do your research and decide which ones are pulling stuff out of their ***es and which ones will actually help you learn.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana Johnson View Post
Thanks guys!! I have been reading the girl power thread and there is a lot there. There is a lot all over this site. I watched quite a bit of the videos that are posted and I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the form is bad in the videos. That concerns me because those are the videos that everybody watches to reference form...eek!!

I'm not talking **** though, just showing concern. I still want to look into Crossfit to see if it's for me. Some of the threads I read, people seemed to attack REALLY FAST...so don't attack me please! ^^

I like smart fitness...when people are TRULY badass and don't get hurt doing it. I don't think it's smart to push yourself so hard that you spew all over yourself. You can get dehydrated. It's bad for you. I mean, it may happen sometimes but it shouldn't be something to work towards and be proud of.

I'm not trying to dissect here just kind of wondering peoples thoughts. Please no mean or attacking responses.

I genuinely want this program to work for me....I just like to be thorough when starting a program.....and one as intense and physically demanding as this one.
I KNOW!! Did you see how low people are going on their squats?!?! They are sure to damage their knees!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Dennis Godfrey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
I KNOW!! Did you see how low people are going on their squats?!?! They are sure to damage their knees!
check out this aritical on the crossfit journal

Going Deep
By Mark Rippetoe
first paragraph says
"Anyone who says that full squats are "bad for the knees" has, with that statement, demonstrated conclusively that they are not entitled to an opinion
about the matter. "
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Dane Grace

Profile:

Hello and welcome Hanna.

I'm relatively new here (I've been doing the WODs for approximately a month), but I'd heavily suggest buying and reading the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (W/F/S). It has done more for me in the weight room than six years of junion/high school athletics. It's more-or-less required reading among Crossfitters, and it'll really help your technique with some of the trickier lifts. I noticed an enormous difference after I practiced Rippetoe's squat technique (namely, it completely removed the strain from my back and knees). Hell, I wish I would have read this book in high school and I've suggested it to every one of my friends who A) lift weights (Crossfit or not) and B) will listen (even if they don't work out).

Another bonus Iíve noticed is that it demystified the Olympic lifts, which has gone a long way in helping me get the most out of the WODs.