CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Stuart Hughes

Profile:
Crossfit with grappling training

Hey all, another standard noob question so I'll keep it brief.

19yo male, 6'0, 160lb. Somewhat active for most of my life (swimming, later Shotokan karate, a few other little things thrown in). I have a little bit of experience with Starting Strength, though my numbers are only above the "novice" level (as outlined by Rippetoe/Kilgore) for my squat and deadlift. I suppose the disparity between my upper and lower body is just a matter of practise - lots and lots of squatting - plus good anthropometry for the deadlift (short torso, long arms and legs).

Now, I love SS, I really do, and Rippetoe is a seriously insightful guy, BUT my physical ability across all standards in fitness as described by Crossfit would be best described as diabolical... well, not absolutely diabolical, I can survive a BJJ class without passing out and/or puking. I have reasonable flexibility, especially in my hips which is also a plus.

I feel that the general physical fitness levels elicited by Crossfit are of greater importance than just pushing for strength at this moment in time, though I definitely want to come back to Rippetoe at some point soon.

Now, with regards to grappling: I've started training under Luiz Tosta in London, and with my current schedule I could do this Monday-Wednesday. I'm also planning on going to the Tokei Olympic wrestling club on Sundays. I'm sure I don't need to outline the physical demands of this kind of training.

Here's my plan: if a workout day is on Sunday through Wednesday, I hit the BJJ/wrestling class, if Thursday through Saturday I do the WOD. Rest days are exactly that - no WOD or classes.

All clear? Okay, first real question - assuming I allow for proper recovery by scaling workouts or taking it a little easier in class, is this plan sustainable, and not too much too soon? Second - when my conditioning levels improve further, is it beneficial for me to be doing the WOD AND class Sunday through Wednesday? Could I even progress to doing some kind of sport and WOD six out of every seven days a la Crossfit workout frquency?

Thanks for reading. I await your responses.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Stuart Hughes

Profile:
Re: Crossfit with grappling training

No one?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Dane Grace

Profile:

Hi Stuart, welcome to the boards.

I too train BJJ and do the WODs (soon to be Starting Strength for 8 weeks) as a supplement. I posted my schedule on my workout log, and you can get an idea of what I do from that.

Is your plan sustainable? Could you CF and grapple simultaneously? I have to offer you what is possible the least satisfying response: it depends on how you adapt. Yes, I've read/heard about people doing two-a-days (WODs/grappling). It's do'able. You are relatively young, and your body will probably be far more forgiving than someone who's a bit longer in the tooth. That said, listen to your body. If you're getting burned out, make adjustments.

Make sure you're getting enough rest (and by this, I mean sleep) and adequate nutrition. You're undertaking quite a workload. Your body will need time and fuel to recover.

I hope that helps, and enjoy BJJ. It's been one of the greatest things to happen to me (Crossfit is a close second).
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

A WOD that now takes me under 20 minutes, I used to not be able to complete rx'd in over 40 minutes. Start slow and your work capacity will get higher and you'll be able to recover faster and handle more workouts and harder training. Maybe start crossfit every other day or something and build up from there. That's just a suggestion. Make sure you scale the WODs in the beginning. Good luck man. BJJ is awesome BTW. If I were to shadowbox for 10 minutes before a WOD when I first began it would have killed me. Now it's like a hard warmup.