CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Grants for CrossFit Kids

Any affiliates secure grant money for CrossFit Kids programs? I don't know much about grants, or the grant-writing arena. Who can help me with this?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Grants for CrossFit Kids

Don’t rely on grants – private or public, for start-up funds. Its rare to find foundations that will give start-up funds. Instead go after individuals!! The best thing you can do as a fundraiser is build up that strong individual base from the start. I took the route of having some events. With my peers, those being 25-35, I knew this was the best way to get them engaged. Events also help you get the word out about what you are doing. Have a cocktail hour at a nice restaurant, a dinner party at your home. I also sent out a letter to my friends and family requesting donations and asked them to send out to 5 of their friends and family. Starting from scratch really does mean “every dollar counts.”
Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
David Long

Profile:

For about 95% of grants you need to be a licensed not-for-profit. I am in the process now of forming one as I work with a lot of Autistic children, and children with other special needs. There are TONS of resources on grant writing (Google them). Most colleges have people that can help you, as do most small business administrations. The big deal is the foundation being established at non-profit and after that you need SUPER tight book. There are specifics in grants about what money can go where ect. Good luck if you go that route. There is a lot of money being given to obesity right now, and allot of it is being wasted. I would love to see some CrossFit affiliates getting some of that money and really making a difference with it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Randy,

Please drop Mikki or I an email regarding the requirements for running a CrossFit Kids program. We can put you in touch with people who might be able to help you.

Jeff