CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Neil Khant

Profile:
Ok, I am new to crossfit. I was introduced to it though the article in Men's Journal. I had been a very athletic person a few years ago. I haven't done anything for quite a while. I did the first workout, taking the advice on this forum, and took it easy. I will increase intensity as I feel more comfortable.

Question is: What are the feeling with the workouts laid out in the Men's Journal article. Are there better to start with or are these decent for a beginner.

I feel good to have started up again. I am 35, Many years ago I used to be a competitive gymnast, diver, and wrestler. These days I spend my time at a desk job and chasing my kids.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Tom Brose

Profile:
Neil, welcome to CrossFit. first thing I would reccommend is to read everything in the "getting Started" and "FAQ" sections, located on the left on the main page, as well as the free download of CrossFit Journal.

That will save you from asking a lot of questions, and constantly getting refferred back to those resources. The workouts in mens journal are scaled down versions of some Crossfit standards, and definitly will give you a tast of whats going on.

Welcome to the board, best free resource you will ever find.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Neil Khant

Profile:
Tom thanks for the response.
Being that they are scaled down I will start there and move up from there.

I have been reading as much as possible, even articles on the internet knocking the program.

I have made it a point to get as much information as possible and use my head to weed out the bull___t.

I know the shape I want to be in and I am hoping that this may help get me there.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Michael Keller

Profile:
Neil, it will definitely get you there. Try to take it easy for awhile until you learn how much your body can take. The reading list posted above will get you on the right track, and all the exercises can be viewed on the main site also. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Neil, welcome to Crossfit. I would say get straight into the program and don't worry about the journal's exercises. You see it's the interactive nature of the exercises that gives CF its dynamic edge.

I love pushing myself to save those last few seconds to see how I went compared to everyone else when I get back home. Or to see whether I can improve the time or weight I did two months ago.

Being a former gymnast, you've stumbled on something with which you will have a competitive advantage. I'm still learning to do a handstand.

Still, at 35, I guarantee that you will be in the best shape of your life within six months. I'm 39 and I know I am.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Neil Khant

Profile:
Day after my first wookout. I took it easy and it was still a little rough. Man am I out of shape. I look like I'd be in shape, but that workout really showed me the amount I need to do. Legs are sore. The next workout looks like more upper body.

For anyone working out in the mornings, do you eat or drink anything before workouts?
I'd be getting up and working out before work.

I've read people saying to eat 2 hours before. That wouldn't be possible for me.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
George Brothers

Profile:
the mens journal article is good. it will help build a base.
another place to find a scaled down wod is
http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/
look under the wod forum.
also check out:
http://coachrut.blogspot.com/
crossfit type workouts that follow a mwf rotation
i drink green tea in the am when i workout along with water.
good luck
Old 01-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
John Jaeckel

Profile:  
Neil—

I started a week ago and I can already feel/see a difference. Someone at work today told me I look like I've been dieting (NOT!)— and my chest, back and shoulders feel jacked.

I have to cheat a bit on the pullups, some of the weight prescriptions and I don't think I could do handstand pushups. But hopefully, some day soon.

I am also quite sore all the time. Quite. Sore. Hungry and tired, too. But all that tells me this thing works.

I drink a 16 oz. Monster Lo-Carb before I work out in the early AM. They really fire me up without making me feel edgy, and they have some stuff in 'em that's actually kinda good for you— Vitamin C, Folate, l-carnitine. And some stuff that's not— caffeine, guarana.

Good luck with this.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Sheila Gruenwald

Profile:
It is encouraging to see that you fellows have trouble with the pullups as well. I can do a flexed arm hang for two minutes, I can do 5 consecutive handstand pushups but I seem to have a "dead" spot in my pull up. I am wondering if it is related to a lat injury I had a few years back. Until I went back into BTJ a year back I did not use that shoulder at all.
For now I am cheating to the top and letting myself down slow, taking about 10-15 seconds. Then I cheat to the top again.

Welcome fellow gymanst...!!!

sheila
Old 01-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Ryan Molofy

Profile:  
Sheila, take a look at the kipping pull-up on the exercises page... you'll find that the widely held definition of 'cheating' pull-ups does not apply here at CrossFit. In fact, you'll find that kipping pull-ups are a more effective exercise. For more information, search the messageboard for 'kipping' -- doing kipping pull-ups is one of the best ways to improve your dead-hang pull-up count.