CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
Steve C Salter

Profile:
Hypo Thryroid and fitness

Hello, new to board I have hypothyroidism and I train vigorously 5-6 days a week, 1.5-2hrs each. Mostly MMA type conditioning. Kickboxing, hill sprints, wheel barrow pushes, lots of crunches, pushups and medicine ball drills and bag work as well. My issues may be due to my hypo, or my age, but I had a very hard time losing weight and i've hit a plateau once again. I went from 218 to 211 and now i'm down to 205. Probably over 6 months time. Oh i'm 41 Am I expecting too much?

My diet is good as well. Salmon, chicken, veggies, fruit, oatmeal for bfast.
2-3 cups of java and then good clean well water the rest of the day.

Has anybody had luck producing lean muscle mass or reducing body fat while hypo?

Will I eventually hit a wall and not be able to lose much more, and am I doing any harm or in danger if I train too hard?

Steve
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Hypo Thryroid and fitness

I am Hashimoto's hypo, on replacement. Even before replacement I had the opposite problem, trouble gaining weight and able to lose weight very easily. CF can alter your metabolism as well due to the high intensity. If you are on replacement then consider re-evaluating/re-testing your dosage needs.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Rayna McGinnis

Profile:

Steve-

I've had a very similar problem. I was tested a little over a year ago, right about the time I started crossfitting and tests can back with an underactive thyroid. I was doing crossfit 3-4 day's a week and rock and ice climbing on weekends, also doing alot of weekend hikes with a heavy pack etc. I was eating fairly healthy, no junk food, but I did eat pasta/rice/bread then.. (shutters at the thought).

With working as hard as I was, I was gaining weight and it wasn't all muscle. It drove me crazy... Especially because as a teen ager I was very under weight and couldn't gain weight no matter how hard i tried.

I stuck with it though and I started loosing weight again about 4-5 months ago (when i couldn't work out because of an injury.). I thought it was muscle loss, but when I went back to do a Cross fit total, I had barely lost any strength at all because I had stayed active climbing and what not. Now i'm working out again, and I'm still loosing. Had my doctor recheck my thyroid and it's back with in normal ranges. (not sure what the science behind that is...)

I can't expect it to stay there though. I guess my main point is- when you're working against a hypo thyroid, it's like hitting a brick wall. If you're overly concerned and not already taking medication, you could talk to a doctor. I don't want to take that route yet because my dr told me once you're on medicine, you have to stay on them for the rest of your life.

I'd like to think my thyroid and I had a civil war and after 6 months it surrendered. I'm pretty sure it's coming back for more though... :-/
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Steve C Salter

Profile:

WOW, you guys rock. Thanks. I'm on the synthroid that I take daily and i'm going to schedule a re-test and an endocrinologist appointment to have him analyze my numbers and dosage. Yeah, the brick wall sux, but i'm learning to live with it since i'm having fun working out. Here's my workout.

5 minutes, stretching. Major muscle groups.
5 minutes jump rope
3 minutes of nothing but push-ups as many as I can squeeze out in 3 minutes.
3 minutes of ab work, crunches, bicycles, leg lifts, oblique crunches
5 minutes double ended bag
5 minutes heavy bag, combos
3-5min lunges with 25lb medicine ball non-stop
4 sets of hill sprints - 70 yards
4 sets of wheel barrow pushes (80-100lbs) full of bricks
5-7 minutes double end bag (speed bag)
5-7 minutes heavy bag
Another round of push ups and sit-ups

I mix this up sometimes with other stuff so it doesn't get boring. 30sec-1 minute break in between drills.

If I can get to 195 and stay there for awhile, i'd be happy

What are your ages and weights if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Tim Luby

Profile:

Steve, I have hypo, too, and I feel better now than at any point in my life, including before I had hypo.

Just make sure you stay on top of your levels so you're taking the right amount of meds and you should be fine.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
Steve C Salter

Profile:

I think I caught mine a little late. I've always ate pretty healthy, but I knew something was wrong when I was dirt bike riding with a friend. Wrecked on a hill and almost passed out from exhaustion trying to get back up and kickstart the bike. Exhausted more than I used to get, so I knew something was out of wack. I went to the doc and he said high-cholesterol and low thyroid and BANG! I was on the meds. I did notice a difference, but not as much as I hoped.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Tim Luby

Profile:

How long have you been diagnosed for? It can take several weeks/months to optimize your dose.

Personally, I've had better luck with Levoxyl and levothyroxine (the generic) than with Synthroid.

You'll get there!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Hi Steve,

I am a CF newbie (8th week), age 57.9 and also hypo. I'm on a small dose of synthroid (sensitive to meds, so I don't need a lot), but it is really necessary in my case. I am eating well, working out hard (2/1 - 3/1 program) and have been losing weight steadily due to diet and CF. My thyroid levels are good with the dose I'm on.

I feel great and wouldn't change a thing!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Brittany Hansen

Profile:

I too have just recently been diagnosed hypothyroid. Like many of the stories above. I was hitting WODs hard, meticulous about what I put in my mouth, yet still the scale wouldn't budge. I also suffered from constipation, fatigue, muscle aches.......

As of last week I have been on meds. and also following a Paleo-ish diet. This is all under the guidance of a Neuropathic doctor...

What I have notice since taking my meds and banishing all carbs and most fat from my diet is increased fatigue, and lower pain tolerance during my WODs. I am sure this has more to do with my body acclimating to the diet rather than the meds.

My question to those who are also Hypo is....Does it level off? Will I regain my endurance? Or are my energy levels going to be hit & miss?

I will keep you all updated on my progress, hopefully I can be a real success story in battling hypothyroidism.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Hansen View Post
I too have just recently been diagnosed hypothyroid. Like many of the stories above. I was hitting WODs hard, meticulous about what I put in my mouth, yet still the scale wouldn't budge. I also suffered from constipation, fatigue, muscle aches.......

As of last week I have been on meds. and also following a Paleo-ish diet. This is all under the guidance of a Neuropathic doctor...

What I have notice since taking my meds and banishing all carbs and most fat from my diet is increased fatigue, and lower pain tolerance during my WODs. I am sure this has more to do with my body acclimating to the diet rather than the meds.

My question to those who are also Hypo is....Does it level off? Will I regain my endurance? Or are my energy levels going to be hit & miss?

I will keep you all updated on my progress, hopefully I can be a real success story in battling hypothyroidism.
Hi Brittany and Welcome!

I can tell you that I have had some rather weird goings on with my body in the last five or six weeks. I am doing Weight Watchers with my wife, but have had to add quite a bit of protein to my diet in order to maintain my energy level and strength. I have lost about 16 pounds in the past 8 or 9 weeks, but am holding steady on, or slightly gaining strength. About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I started having difficulty eating - - I'd have bouts of nausea; even looking at food that I love. It came to the point of having to almost force myself to eat. I did suffer a little strength loss then and for a couple of weeks. I have been hitting CF really hard, (just short of getting sick sometimes from the WOs), but that's what most CFers will refer to as getting close to meeting "Pukie." That does happen occasionally. My metabolism change and dietary improvements (plus quitting artificial sweeteners) all at once, may be responsible for my "disorder." It now seems to have straightened itself out. You will have some days, especially after certain intensive WOs, which will leave you "fried" for a couple of days. Take an extra day off if you need, or have an "easy" day where perhaps you work on form or strength (if your endurance is shot, but you feel strong). If your thyroid levels and medication are dialed in, you should have no problem. Pain and stiffness can remain slightly elevated after workouts in the beginning. Hard core CFers who have been doing CF for years sometimes do an extra-demanding workout and end up in pain and being stiff for a day or two. This is where stretching, foam rolling, massage, ice, and other techniques come in. Sleep is really important for you in building muscle and allowing your body to recover from metcons. Also, be sure you're drinking enough water - - at least 64 oz (more would be better) per day, as you can lose as much as a quart during hard workouts. Stay away from soft drinks or too much coffee/caffeinated tea, if you can because those act as diuretics and you'll lose more fluid from your body. The can cause constipation and/or dehydration.

Once you get your diet, fluid intake, and meds dialed in (if meds are still an issue), and you become acclimated to your level of WOs, things should settle down.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by Stephen R. Lampl : 10-29-2008 at 11:29 PM.