CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
David Croushore

Profile:
CFE to main site connection?

Trying to figure out how to do CFE while staying with my affiliate. I'm looking at the two sites side by side to figure out if there's a connection between which workouts go where on CFE.

Here's some relationships that seem to be predominent, but inconsistent.

1) Main site rest days when CFE is not resting tend to be long time trial or tempo days

2) Long main site metcons tend to be short interval or tabata days on CFE

3) O-lift and heavy lifting main site days don't seem to correlate to anything.

Have I taken too small of a sample size, or should I (basically) follow this pattern.

For example: Today at my affiliate we did 15:00 for rounds of quadrapedal movement with dumbbells up and back, lunges up and back, and 21 KB swings. This would seem to correlate to an interval day (like the Rx'd 240:120 day on the CFE site).

Also, we seem to have more long metcon days than heavy days at my affiliate. Should I change the way I do CFE because of this?

Thanks a ton... I know I have a ton of questions.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: CFE to main site connection?

what is CFE?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
David Croushore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kaminski View Post
what is CFE?
http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ (safe link)

This.

Last edited by David Wood : 11-08-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Steven Holm

Profile:

Well from what I got from the interview with, I believe his name is Brian Mackenzie, the guy that started CFE. He designed CFE to supplement the mainsite WOD. So I could see how following a certain affiliate's WOD might not work too well.
They have done some awesome stuff with CFE, it's awesome to hear of these guys only training 6hrs/week then running ultras.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

CFE is specifically designed to work with the CF main site.

Brian has said that long metcons are not the way to go if you want the program to work. The key to success with CFE is regular metabolic conditioning with CF, strengthening of the legs (and whatever else you need for your sport) with CF strength days, specificity of training through heavy intervals in your sport, and the occasional longer tempo run.

It is possible to do CFE by following an affiliate, but you will have to study some of the CFE programming first. Long tempo days are never coupled with a CF workout. The CFE site is designed to work with CFHQ for maximum performance. I don't follow CFHQ and I have found success with CFE.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
David Croushore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
CFE is specifically designed to work with the CF main site.

Brian has said that long metcons are not the way to go if you want the program to work. The key to success with CFE is regular metabolic conditioning with CF, strengthening of the legs (and whatever else you need for your sport) with CF strength days, specificity of training through heavy intervals in your sport, and the occasional longer tempo run.

It is possible to do CFE by following an affiliate, but you will have to study some of the CFE programming first. Long tempo days are never coupled with a CF workout. The CFE site is designed to work with CFHQ for maximum performance. I don't follow CFHQ and I have found success with CFE.
If I may ask, what sort of CF workouts are you doing to couple with the CFE.

It sounds like strength days are big, but what do you mean by "regular metabolc conditioning with CF"? Can you give an example of a WOD that falls into that category?

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Croushore View Post
If I may ask, what sort of CF workouts are you doing to couple with the CFE.
I do my own programming instead of following CFHQ for various reasons I don't want to go into here. But it's not really that different. Past few days was like this:
Thursday I did 30 muscle-ups and some box jumps. CFE was 4x100m + 6x50m.
Wednesday I did Heavy Cindy (Cindy + 20# vest) and lots of weighted pistols. CFE was 3/2/1/2/3 minute ladder.
Monday was Helen + 5x5 Jerks. No CFE.
Sunday was run 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Croushore View Post
It sounds like strength days are big, but what do you mean by "regular metabolc conditioning with CF"? Can you give an example of a WOD that falls into that category? Thanks for the input.
CFHQ has a lot of metcons but only a few long metcons. Short metcons are good for strength and stamina. Examples of these are Helen, Fran, Grace, Isabel, 30 muscle-ups, etc. They are usually under 12 minutes or so.
What you don't want to do is have a week where you do more than one of the following: Eva, Murph, Filthy Fifty, Running With Angie, or any of the Painstorms in addition to your CFE workouts. These workouts usually go in excess of 30 minutes and you end up spending much of your time in the oxidative pathway. Occasionally these workouts are great, but just because they rely heavily on the oxidative pathway does not mean that they are the solution to help you train for long distances. This is counterintuitive, but Brian is pretty adamant about it.

The principle of CFE is not to spend a long time training in the oxidative pathway. Strong and fast legs, along with strong metabolic conditioning in all 3 pathways, is what will lead you to success for an endurance event.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 11-07-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
David Reed

Profile:

I think his reasoning was, you're already basically doing your long metcons via CFE, so you want to keep the metcons in regular CF as short as possible.