CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Adam Fugent

Profile:
SS and APFT or any PT test

I've been doing CF for a while and I love it. I'm hoping to start the Starting Strength program in February. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this program and results on the APFT or any other PT test.
I am concerned mainly with run times and how starting strength will affect my run times.. I do well already but the 2 mile is my weakness. I don't have much time to work in both SS and a run program because they keep me pretty busy at school. I appreciate anyone's help, advice or experience.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:
Re: SS and APFT or any PT test

I honestly can't tell you how I do but I max my pushups and situps and power walk my butt off. I am also alot better at morning pt. I can't run due to a minor health setback that I am going to try to work my way out of.

Pre-Crossfit(Body Building Workout) apft before that was 65pushups, 66situps, 15:15 2mile run.

During Crossfit apft My last apft results were 88pushups, 84situps, 25:35min 2.5mile walk.

And I don't do nothing other then morning PT and the Wods from the site.

What I am going to start doing Cadet is running alot more. I need to really run so as soon as I can get the Neurologist to sign off on me I am going to go back to running. My ultimate goal is to score over 300+ on my apft make the extended scale.

Last edited by Bryant A Buchanan; 01-20-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Adam Fugent

Profile:

Thanks Bryant,
I am asking the question more about SS I can max all three events but my run is borderline so I am afraid that if I focus too much on the Strength portion then my run will drop and I will lose my Max. Crossfit has definitely helped with all aspects of the test.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fugent View Post
Thanks Bryant,
I am asking the question more about SS I can max all three events but my run is borderline so I am afraid that if I focus too much on the Strength portion then my run will drop and I will lose my Max. Crossfit has definitely helped with all aspects of the test.

I hate to say it. I really belive SS will lower your running time. But what I'm thinking is that I know you want to give 100% and all that other hooah but as long as you are doing pretty good on pt you will be ok (250-270). PT is more important for me because it factors in directly to my promotions. For you it is important that you make it out of West Point but you should also enjoy your workouts. It's really different for cadets vs what you will see at regular units. Unless you end up in a high speed unit like alot of the other posters on here(Rangers, SF, Seals, CCT) how do they do you guy's branch at the academies.

Well to help answer your question. You will likely slow down due to increased muscle mass. But keep your aerobic/anarobic conditioning. Now the problem is I doubt you will slow down that much maybe just a few seconds maybe not any. But from my point of view I am actually trying to lose weight (20lbs) and I am fairly lean. Because it gets hard lugging around all the extra mass.

Last edited by Bryant A Buchanan; 01-20-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
William Tokash

Profile:

In order for you to improve your run, you must run. Check out the Pose method. If you can handle a WOD, your cardio or endurance shouldn’t be the problem. It is probably your technique. Most people I see that are borderline or fail the run have horrible running technique. Take a video of your run style and post it, I am sure many people will help correct any flaws they see.

Work smarter, not harder. Fix your technique and you can run faster with less effort. Just like with an Olympic lift, with better technique you are immediately stronger. You can also try interval training. There are many posts on this and I know a lot of Soldiers who did this and really improved their run times.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

There are a few schemes to mix SS and CF. Rip suggests doing SS for 2 weeks then adding a CF metcon into the third and fourth week, then another after the fifth week. Another scheme is to do SS workout A then two CF metcons then a rest day then SS workout B then two CF metcons then a rest day... etc.

SS is only concerned with increasing your physical strength, not your athletic conditioning. It'll help you do well in CF, but not running.

SS will increase your strength VERY quickly, and your conditioning almost not at all. CF will increase your conditioning quickly, but your strength rather slowly (compared to some other programs such as SS).
Old 01-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Adam Fugent

Profile:

Thanks to everyone so far who has responded,
I think I'm going to mix SS into my current CF schedule in a 1 Day SS, 2 days CF, 1 day Rest. and throw in intervals and hills as an APFT closes. And then after my next APFT I think I will dedicate more time to SS.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Bryant A Buchanan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Fugent View Post
Thanks to everyone so far who has responded,
I think I'm going to mix SS into my current CF schedule in a 1 Day SS, 2 days CF, 1 day Rest. and throw in intervals and hills as an APFT closes. And then after my next APFT I think I will dedicate more time to SS.
Thats sounds like a great plan man. Are you also going to do a gallon of milk a day? Also what Branch are they going to put you in? Or do you know that yet or have to wait until graduation?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
Robert Gonzalez

Profile:

I think that's the best way for you to go right now. Don't change anything up if you are maxing everything. Wait till after the APFT so that should the added mass of muscle slow you down, you won't have developed it till after you max out.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Pat McElhone

Profile:

If you want to max the 2 mile run, you need to do some speed work. Depending on your base running ability SS or the WODs proabably will not help you max the run.

I have always been a power guy. Could easily max PU and SU and the run would get me. What worked for me was doing 400m, 800m and 1600m at the pace I needed to max. What did not work for me was running the same workouts as my buddies (who could all run sub 12mins) we had different strength and weaknesses.

What ever you do, if your goal is just running the 2miles fast, I would never run more then 2 miles. I believe the Army is so full of slow runners because we run slow all the time and that is the only way people know how to run. Focus on running fast and effortless as possible. That is the key, do not run hard..run fast. There is a difference. Also, try and keep the cadence of 180 foot strikes/min.

Personally, I am trying to get back to sub 13:20 2 mile and 1 day a week, I am subing a WOD with the above workout. My favorite is 1 mile as fast as possible. Rest 2 min. 800m fast as possible, rest 2min, 400m. That works for me. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, do not forget where your gravy is....max PU and SU.

Last edited by Pat McElhone; 01-21-2008 at 09:25 PM..