CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Although I have done Crossfit for several months and see its benefit I must admit that for a change I do sometimes do other things for a few weeks.Crossfit is spot on but I just mix things up every now and then.In he past I have purchased some of Fureys stuff and although basic it has a certain appeal; he is certainly a marketing genius,there is no other word for it.Added to this I have had results.This may be due to my body responding to a new stimulus or somthing more subtle.Has anyone followed Fureys stuff for several months and what have been the results?
Old 01-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Furey is not well liked. He is smart, but amalgamizing myriad training concepts is something one can do easily without spending heaps of loot on how too's.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
Guy-

I would suggest searching for information about Furey. There are a quite a few people here that have some problems with Furey's methods, but to each their own opinion. Since I don't have anything nice to say about him, I won't say anything at all. Below are a couple of links from the search function.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/10173.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/9882.html
Old 01-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Straying from the fray a little is not bad, until you start to lose some of your met con, then it's bad. No reason you cannot continue to do CF but overlay a program in addition to CF.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Larry, good point. I follow the Crossfit WOD along with a bodyweight WOD of my own creation most every workout day, so I don't see where some added work with Furey's stuff would hurt, especially if you already have the resources.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Michael Keller

Profile:
Most of his stuff is not bad, but it's also a slickly marketed program that is not as effective as he makes it out to be. I've heard that Furey is pretty chubby now also. I have his Combat Conditoning book and it's not bad, but it's nothing new either. You can always add it to your CrossFit workout if you like, but I would never rely only on it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I think a lot of people hooked on CF miss the forest (the core concept of blending potent full body movements with multiple implements, at multiple rep ranges, across multiple energy systems, with a focus on density and power) for the trees (the published WOD). As long as you aren't specifically evading work areas, or doing useless exercises (see Coach B.'s "yes to the 4th " idea) you can blend to your heart's content- just be aware that the coachs in charge of the various WODs are generally more experienced at building workouts than you are.

So. The errors of Hindu squats (that being that they are a dead-end movement, and mostly a way to bypass not being able to use your hamstrings or postural muscles) I'd say cut them out of the running. If you want to sub in Hindu pushups (I'd probably do more, I find them easier than the traditional thing, and they cycle slower) go for it. Bridging isn't really very metabolic, nor is it usually challenging enough to warrant individual attention, so it might make a good warmup activity. As for the workouts, the only meaningful way is to do reps for time (ala Angie, Barbara, Chelsea) or for density (Cindy) You can of course partion the reps and sets as you see fit.

As for his higher-intensity movements, they're generally abwheels, HSPU's amd pistols- suprise suprise, movements we do. Well, not the abwheels, but you could if you wanted- swap out situps or KTE half the time or something. Robb Wolf and Coach B. are both fond of them I recall.

Hmmm....I guess my real beef is kinda philosophical, and it's been irritating me for a while, usually when there's a DD vs. CF duel, or when some talks about cycling between CF and another "program." CF is just a big pile of ideas about how to train intelligently for just about everything, and it's constantly getting tuned by various affiliates, coaches, and individual practioners. If a person needs to train for a powerlifting meet, or a track tournament, and shift some things around to make room for box squats or extra 100m sprints, they haven't stopped CFing, they're adding an emphasis, or shoring up weak points, or doing sport specific work- the point is, as long as they still find some time to do some multi-modal, multi-element work that they can score from time to time, they're still on the Kool-Aid, and more importantly, are still training smart. Witness the knee-scoop KB vs. OLY argument- no one here thinks KB's are anything less than wonderful. They just aren't magic, that's all, and aren't as good solo as doing them in the midst of other activities. So if you have reason to believe you need extra calisthenics (which, personally, I bet isn't the case- we do an awful lot around here) and think your spine might benefit from some cat stretches, mix, match, and blend to your heart's content- just don't forget that you won't get any benefits from ignoring your weights, or your rings, or the track.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Guy Crossland

Profile:
Yes.If I decide to do some hill sprints and then some hindu push ups and some squats it is really crossfit as you say.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
John Walsh

Profile:
Kalen,

That was a great post. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Clay Jones

Profile:

Kalen, I have never gotten the feeling from reading the Comments or the Board that the published WOD is the end all and be all for most CrossFitters, so I'm not sure about your 'forest vs. trees' example. No biggie, I'm probably just being nitpicky. I do agree with the balance of what you said--a nicely reasoned and well thought out post!

As for Matt Furey's materials--some fluff, some good, some junk.