CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
Frank M Needham

Profile:
My wife is due anyday/hour and of course she'll be recovering for a bit of time after delivery. So, thinking in advance of what possibilities there might be here Vegas for her to get hooked up with a local CF trainer, I'm looking for to find someone or a group that could work with her. She'd be starting from ground zero really, never having been involved in sports or a fitness program of any kind before. This is something that I don't want to undertake myself as I would be experimenting, not a good thing for her. So, anybody know of someone here that qualifies as an experienced Crossfit trainer/coach who might be interested?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Good question!
Anyone?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Lori Vescio

Profile:
Congratulations! Hope Baby gets here soon and recovery is quick. I'd love to hear how CF works post pregnancy.

(I just spent the last 4 days in Vegas with the women in my family ~ I'm ready to croak.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/27227.gif )

(Message edited by Sillyyogini on July 16, 2006)
Old 07-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Thank you! Gage arrived and is doing well as is Mom.

I'm thinking that unless by some good fortune and whim of fate that I will undertake trying to introduce my wife to the fundamentals of fitness through CrossFit after all.

Not that I'm qualified for such a task, far from it, and since there is not at the moment a CrossFit Facility here in Vegas I'm gonna jump right in here and respectfully ask for help from you all.

Thinking back on my experience through the years with athletics I'm going round with where to start. For me, fitness and sports was something I found immediately enjoyable, a snap, and never even gave a thought about where to start. It is a game, exhilarating, challenging, and on the whole a very stimulating diversion.

On the other hand, it is not the same for everyone right? Now, I'm not saying that my wife will not find it as I have but at this point I just don't know. It is more that she never had the opportunity for such things as a child and really doesn't know her potential to enjoy herself through fitness. The basics are there. She has coordination, weight/height, positive outlook, flexibility, and she enjoys the physical activity she does get in her job.

Ironically, the first real job she had since living in the States was as an Asst PE Instructor with the school district here. It proved too much of a strain to her though due to lack of prior fitness training, dust allergies, and the extreme heat. Her Supervisor was sure sad to see her go though as he thought her abilities very good.

My idea here is to somehow make the introduction for her as fun and enjoyable as possible. In some way I would like to make this into something that she would not even realize was taking place, much as happened for me when younger. With that in mind I'd like to ask for ideas to make it happen, especially from those who might have worked with others to get the same result.

If there were some way to cleverly slip her into some fun CF based program without her really being distracted by all the mechanics of it in a simple way I sure would like to hear about it. Untill one really stops to think of how to teach a lifetime of experiences in an area, the process seems all so simple, NOT! Hats off to those of you who know how to do this and impart your love and enthusiasm for sports and fitness to others!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Mechelle Mouras

Profile:  
Hello I am a 38 year old woman from indiana with 2 teenage boys. I started crossfit on june 4th 2006.
My husband had been doing crossfit off and on for about a year. But he did'nt work out at home he did his work out at the gym. When he started doing it at home and I saw how quickly he got his work out done I thought wow that was fast. I can do that.
So I told him I wanted to try and he cut the work outs down for me. I started out doing the WOD. I could not do it as RX'd still can't. I stated just doing what I could do enough that I just felt totaly spented. Now I do half the the WOD 3 days on 1 day off.
I would suggest doing the work outs where see can see you and the more people doing it the better if you have friends close that do CF have them over to work out. CF is contagious. Since I started my sister-in-Law, nephew and 17 year old son have started as well. Good luck getting her started. I know I was hooked after the first day.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Congratulations on making to the teen years hehehe...Nice to hear you're doing CF with your husband Mechelle. Your idea is great! I wonder if your husband had that in mind (infecting you with CF) by working out at home?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
Phillip Morrison

Profile:  
You know, I've been having these same thoughts. My wife is due in a month or so, and I know she wants to be more active post preg than she was pre preg. SHe has said though that in the past she has hated working out because it was boring, etc. She loves playing sports, however, so I'm looking into ways to make it more fun for her. It may be as simple as mechelle said, just do the WOD at home and she may get interested. Who knows, maybe just the fact that we could workout together would be enough.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Lori Vescio

Profile:
Welcome, Baby Gage! :happy:

I worked out right up until both of my deliveries, and I jumped back into my routine shortly after. Looking back, I think would have really appreciated the efficiency of CF. Instead I spent a great deal of time on the treadmill and working with video tapes (1 to 1.5 hours), which isn't bad, but it was tough getting it into baby's schedule. It also meant losing additional sleep (which was bad). Crazy as it sounds, CF might have been easier in some ways.

Congratulations and good luck to you and your wife, Phillip!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Phillip Morrison

Profile:  
Holy Cow I completely missed the part where you said your baby arrived . . .Frank, Congratulations!!!!!

Lori, Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Frank M Needham

Profile:
No sweat Phillip just a minor detail ;) and good luck to you!