CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
John Mark Trower

Profile:
A couple of years ago, I transitioned from weight training to bodyweight workouts, and recently learned about Cross-fit. Due to plantar faciitis and recurring "football knees", I've not been able to run as much as I like, and that's where I see Cross Fit as a solution. I began by doing my usual bodyweight routine in a Cross Fit fashion, for example circuits of pullups, pushups or Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats, and situps. Sometimes I'll toss in dumbbell squat swings or thrusters. I was shocked at how just two quick circuits sucked the life out of me! I do have a couple of questions though:

Using Pavel's "grease the groove" ladders, I've gone from being able to do 4 dead hang pullups to 12-14. When I do pullups as part of a circuit, I struggle to get 6 reps per set. When I do ladders, I can easily knock out over 100 pullups.

Is it ok to do the pullups as a separate workout? I want full benefits of Cross Fit, but a side goal is maximizing my pullup performance.

Second, it seems that some exercises get done nearly every day, others you may do only once every couple weeks or so? In traditional weight training, a muscle group nearly always gets a day off after being worked, in bodyweight training performance in things like pullups and pushups seems better if they're done everyday...this doesn't make sense, and I still haven't figured that out.

Finally, what is the best frequency for Tabata intervals - 1x, 2x or 3x week?

Thanks

(Message edited by Mark_trower on July 27, 2006)
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Welcome aboard, Mark.

I'll take an attempt at answering some questions:

Is it ok to do the pullups as a separate workout?
Funny you should ask that 2 days after our incrementing pullups WoD with the running clock - I'm so sore it hurts to even imagine doing a pullup right now. If your body can handle the extra work, then do it. I'll often work on my weaker lifts/moves/techniques in addition to the WoD, but only when I can recover fully. Needless to say, no pullups today ;)

in bodyweight training performance in things like pullups and pushups seems better if they're done everyday...
I've found, as many here will testify, that the "long" breaks for some exercises are beneficial. Working other exercises that also use these muscles, if only tangentially, adds benefit. Read the postings for a few months and you'll see many people state "Haven't done these in a couple weeks, but today was a new PR..."

From my experience, Crossfit has given me gains in areas I never thought I'd want to work on. But, in hindsight, I can't imagine not training in those areas. I'll trade my earlier accomplishments (specific strength/stamina) for the general growth I'm making overall.

Of course, that's my opinion and ymmv :-)

-Seth
Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I have read that more than twice a month for tabatas is usually too much.