CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Marina

Profile:  
hey, I have been reading for a bit but just joined. I am an avid sports player, playing ultimate frisbee in the summer and ice hockey in the winter. I also run, ski (xc and telemark) bike, and swim. I struggle with my weight despite all the activity. As I have gotten older I am sustaining more injuries as well. I just started looking into more weight training and functional fitness to supplement my activities, the new personal trainer I am seeing is actually doing a very crossfit-like training, with kettlebells and medicine balls combined with running, circuit style. The other days of the week I will try the WOD in addition to my run/bike/or ski, though I lack a large amount of the equipment. I did just purchase a chin-up bar though, and last week was able to do my first handstand push-up :-) I have a lot of muscle, I gain it very easily.

The one thing I have always struggled with is my diet, I started eating low-calorie two years ago and successfully dropped to about 12%BF from 20 or so, but developed so many anorexia-like symptoms I was worried, especially the amenorrhea. I ended up gaining the weight back when I started eating a bit more (but still low compared to my activity) when I started training for the marathon. Despite dropping calories again, I got back up to my original weight (150 at 5'6) by the time I raced, though did pretty well (3:39) despite the extra pounds. I am now 25%BF and 160 or so, despite continuing to eat under 1800 calories, which confuses me. I gain weight very easily, and my body does not seem to want to lose fat anymore, I think I have a very adapting metabolism. I was surprised to see so many people here eat so little, without developing similar eating disorder issues.

I try and eat all 'real' foods, I am a celiac (gluten-intolerant) so most processed foods are off-limits anyway. I eat oatmeal, veggies, fruit, and fish, and that's pretty much it. Some dairy, in the form of yogurt and cottage cheese, though I am lactose-intolerant too so in small quantities. With this diet I get more of a 60% ratio of carbs, and I am wondering if that is why I am having trouble getting leaner. I have read a lot about the zone diet, but I always thought the low carbs would be difficult for me with so much activity. Does anyone do a lot of endurance training with this kind of diet? I don't want to do another marathon, but would like to do some half-marathons and 10K's. Losing some of the extra bodyfat would certainly help my running performance as well!

Thanks for reading a now-too-long introduction! I hope a crossfit gym pops up in Boston sometime!
Old 02-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Marina!

Welcome to crossfit. A few things come to mindafter reading your post. If you suspect your carbs to be at 60% they are likely much higher. I have celiac as well and am as carb insensitive as they come. I would be pudgy and low energy on this ratio of food regardless of caloric content. Personally i would avoid both the oats and dairy. They are problematic for many celiacs. Fruits high in fructose (low GI) can be problematic as well.

Regarding the caloric content...if the ratios are wrong and or the caloric level is too low one can down regulate the thyroid severely. Soy based foods can exacerbate this as well. You likely need more protien and fat! If you are not getting 4-6 small meals with ~ palm sized piece of protien(chicken, fish, meat) at EACH meal(nuts and seeds do not count for the protien) that may be the problem right there.

Check out all of Mark Twight's posts for info on endurance eating. His events last as long as 60hrs so I tend to trust his perspective on the topic ;)

Keep us posted on your progress and again, welcome!
Robb

Old 02-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Marina

Profile:  
You are so right, it seems I have issues with MOST things I try to eat. I have serious IBS with the celiac disease. I do have issues with both fruit AND dairy. I eat only berries and apples, no grapes, melon, anything like that gives me TERRIBLE indigestion. Dairy does as well, I only recently discovered lactaid cottage cheese that seems to be ok, but I only have 1/4 cup in the evenings anyway. The issue is, I am not a big meat person, just fish, so it has been difficult to up my protein! I keep track of what I eat very carefully, with BalanceLog software, so I am pretty sure about my ratios so far. I do eat flaxseed and olive oil so I am ok on fat. I do like eggs as well, so I might try more often as a way to get protein.

What are people's opinions on quinoa? That is the one other grain I eat occasionally. I could try and cut out ALL grains for a bit to see if that makes a difference. I do eat flaxseed and cold-pressed oils for fat. I also have stomach trouble with most soy, so I also avoid this as well. My diet is pretty limited just by my digestion! Mostly veggies, which is why I have a garden and do a lot of my own canning :-)

I will definitely check out Mark Twight's posts! If he can do 60 hours than my measly 1.5 hours for 13mi should be fine :-)
Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Marina, full names are required, as you know from the policy you received with your account approval. Your account is suspended.