CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:
Hello Everyone -

After lurking at CF Oakland for a year, I finally joined. I finished my 4 intro classes. I love it.

The last two sessions just killed me. I'm 40, and clearly a beginner.

My question - how does everyone manage "recovery"?

Me? Three beers and some advil. Something is telling me that probably isn't the best path.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
recover=rest when needed, scaling, proper nutrition inclu adequate hydration (H2O) lots of fish oils and listening! SOme Vit I is ok just dont make it regular and oh--the beer should prob go too!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Ryan Whipple

Profile:
Serena hits it right on the head; the workout stresses your body and the rest days are for your body to rebuild. Give it the tools it needs to do that; good nutrition, water, rest, and vitamins if you like. If it's a really bad day, a hot shower or a massage (self, good friend, spouse, etc) can really hit the spot.

Although the alcohol and advil might make you feel less beaten up after a workout, they are a bad combination for your health. (see "Doesn't Mix Well") I don't know for sure that it slows the body's adaptation to the stresses of exercise, but I have a good feeling that it does.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:
Sarena and Ryan - thank you.

Ryan - I read the article. It's becoming clear to me that I need to approach CF from a broader, perspective. Not necessarily just the 2 sessions a week in the gym. Eat better and cut back on the refreshments.

Take care.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
David Sailor

Profile:
Brad,

Once you get going, it really is a lifestyle change. Like they said, it's not just the workouts, it's how you live your life. We all make decisions and compromises which affect how we perform and recover. Add in a marriage, a few kids, work and other commitments and you have your hands full. Recovery is key and often difficult to adhere to given an individual's lifestyle. David.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Charles Bennington

Profile:
Nutrition and hydration are my personal deal breakers as to feeling well versus being run into the ground.