CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Nicholas Halter

Profile:
Question Starting CF at fire station

I'm sure this subject has come up in the past many times. I was wondering if I could get someone to link some threads on WODs or skills for EMS/Firefighting done CF style that could get us started. We have no traditional equipment (workout) and we are a small department with mostly on-call and volunteers. I have been doing Crossfit myself for 2 months in a local affiliate so I have a basic idea on how a WOD should 'feel'. Any help and/or suggestions would be great! There are quite a few of us up here that are looking forward to the benefits of CF.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Chris Fanti

Profile:
Re: Starting CF at fire station

Check out www.crossfitfirefighters.com (WFS)

They use alarms to scale workouts that may be helpful if starting out.

I am a firefighter in SoCal and I am currently following CF Football. It seems to be working well for me so far.

I will keep looking for more info to help you out. Good luck and stay safe.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
Nicholas Halter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fanti View Post
Check out www.crossfitfirefighters.com (WFS)

They use alarms to scale workouts that may be helpful if starting out.

I am a firefighter in SoCal and I am currently following CF Football. It seems to be working well for me so far.

I will keep looking for more info to help you out. Good luck and stay safe.
Is this like the TrainToHunt.com spin on CF? Are these approved CF training and how do these 'spin offs' work on keeping the CF system legitimate? I am in the process of looking over this site and it's FAQ, but I know how some of the guys at the station might react to this. They are already unsure of how legit CF is as a system of training, but legit or not they know that it is showing results in myself, so they are willing to try. As for CF Football, is it another CF spin as well? I guess I've got more to learn. I only know about this (HQ) and my local affiliates..
Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Chris Fanti

Profile:

It is run by a Orange County Fire Authority. They have hosted their share of level 1 certifications. A handful of them compete in the combat challenge as well. I figured it might work for you since it has scaling built in.

CF Football is just an spin off from crossfit. They incorporate strength training with regular WODs. In essence there are 2 work outs everyday. A short strength WOD focusing on just lifting heavy, and a more traditional conditioning WOD.

To be honest you could follow regular crossfit and just sub in some more traditional firefighter related work. For instance at the station I will wear my SCBA for some of the conditioning related WODs that don't require barbell work. I don't click in, but the pack adds its own level of fun.

As far as a crossfit site that is dedicated to just firefighter related work, I have not found one yet. The link I posted is the closest I have gotten. One thing I have learned in my research is that every CF site has it's own twist on WODs. Just takes time to find the one that works for your station.

Stay safe!!